Power Outages

Guest neo

Guest M. McRae

Sure is quiet when the power goes off in the East. Sure hope no one is left without power who needs it for life support etc. You have to wonder what brought the grid down this time. It will be interesting no doubt.

It's back on in Milton, or parts thereof, including my house, as of about 8pm. Its been interesting though, and a little eerie. I spent most of the time driving back from Haliburton. The power only flickered there, so briefly that it reset the clock on the microwave, but not the VCR, and the only thing that I noticed was that all the radio stations and TV stations were dead.

On the drive home I phoned home as soon as I was in cell phone range and heard that power was out in the GTA, and decided to get gas at the closest station. It's a good thing I did because the truck only had less than 1/4 tank left, I still had 2 1/2 hrs of driving, and it was the last operational gas station I saw.

Eventually I was able to find a radio station operating to find out what was going on, but the coverage could best be described as panic mode. Although the traffic was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, the lineups at gas stations were like nothing I've ever seen before. The big stations on the 400 looked like parking lots, and the closer I got to the city, the more cars there were abandoned on the road.

The big concern right now is that it is still extremely hot out, so people are without air conditioning, and in some buildings in Toronto, they have already run out of water. Food is melting in freezers, traffic lights are out, the subway isn't running, the airport was shut down for part of the day, and people were stuck in elevators. But the worst part - some people can't access the internet!!! ;)

Hopefully it won't last long, although there is speculation that it may take days to restore power in some parts of the province.

On a brighter note, situations like this seem to bring out the good in people. Even my 17 year old daughter, in a truly humanitarian gesture, offered to drink the beer in the fridge before it goes bad.

Only until they decide to reroute it to somewhere else, say YYZ ????

Then the center of our "Hub and Spoke" operation will be in darkness...

How will the papers blame this on AC?

I think I can see the headlines now...

AIR CANADA CAUSES MAJOR POWER DISRUPTION WHEN MILTON TURNS ON PERSONAL AIR CONDITIONER

I guess it depends where the server is located. I can access Rogers Webmail and my other emails from my house (YYZ area). Power is still out in many differant parts of the greater Toronto area. We got our's on at 0500. YYZ got power at 0100. It will be a busy day getting the operation back to normal.

Guest Boarding Card

What do you want to bet that RM will be adding the power outage to his list of reasons why AC is loosing millions of dollars a day. Yup, add that to 9/11, Iraq, SARS, the employees.. and now the blackout of 2003.

Guest Simcoe

It's convenient that Air Canada blamed the power outage, but the harsh reality is it was AC's own back up generators that failed and that is no one's fault but Air Canada's.

Perhaps they can't afford to pay for the diesel fuel to crank it up every week for a test, or perhaps they chose not to perform regular maintenence on it to see if it would perform when needed. Who knows.

But as usual, it wasn't Air Canada's fault....it never is.....

So let's see. AC cancelled hundreds of flights yesterday because of their own error, and they are not compensating their customers? That's the AC customer service Canadians know and love.

I believe WJA lost it's OCC for a day last Aug due to a software failure. Everyone impacted, including myself, was immediately compensated and expenses were paid. They took responsibility for their mistake.

That's customer service and why WJA is whupping AC's butt in the marketplace.

Guest JakeYYZ

As reported in the Star Augus 17:- (a summary)

2 years ago while Lewis Wheelan was working for a power company he lost two legs and his right arm when a tree broke through a hydro line and he received an incredible jolt of electricity. The guy was almost burned to a crisp and needed constant air conditioning to keep his body from overheating.

Well guess what? We had the blackout- power went off in his apartment provided by the WSIB (Workplace Safety and Ins. Board) and it was still off when emergency crews arrived at his apartment to find him dead on Friday afternoon.

Seems WSIB provided an attendant to help him with basic chores - but where was the guy when he was needed? The WSIB office closed down because of the blackout and the parents couldn't find anyone to check to see whether their son was still alive.

Mmmm seems someone slipped up. Poor bugger.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1061072106320&call_pageid=1060963744029&col=1060963744021

Archived