For JimH

dragon

Jim,

I think you missed my thrust. As well, my response was from my POV, a pilot POV.

I do NOT condone booking off [regardless of what one refers to it as] to work on your tan. I absolutely DO support booking off, should, after a self evaluation, I conclude that either my physical or emotional capacity is diminished to a point that would interfere with my ability to perform the rigors of my responsibility to the highest standard. If I were doing interviews for pilots of MY company, to answer the question any differently, would be to answer incorrectly.

I believe that my employer shares that view, I do, I believe the insurance companies do as do I believe the families, whos lives I am responsible for, do – for whatever reason.

I do NOT support abuse in any way, I hope that is more clear.

Kind regards

dragon

I sensed that you were one of the few that set a very high standard for yourself. I think that you should realize though that not everyone that sits behind a control column thinks like you. On another note: Don't you think that a "diminished emotional capacity" is a bit of a stretch? If you have arrived in "that place" I agree you shouldn't be at work but a book off for a day or two will do little for that problem..... Let's talk about the tan or the headache or just the mental health day. Although you have a couple of worthy points, you come off a bit like a CTV News anchor.

Guest floatrr

"I don't think that "sick day's" can be classified as "Booking Off days" I read your response and wonder how you would feel if you owned a business and had to pay some of your employees that, upon self examination, did not feel they should work that day."

Call em sick days or booking off days or...whatever. The fact remains that aircrew are charged with the responsibility of showing up for duty (I'll say it again) physically,mentally and emotionally ready for duty. This is a legal requirement. Would it be efficient for the company to get a general practitioner,psychiatrist and psychologists' opinion every time a crew member decided they weren't fit for duty for whatever reason? I think not. This is why a "program" like this will never fly.

see....this is what I mean. No one is ready to try and make it fly. "It just won't fly!" (neither will you) Guess that is the baggage that comes with being overwhelmed by your own importance.

I think you're missing something... if you'll forgive me for saying so... It seems to me like you're hearing a professional approach to understanding fitness for duty, and yet you're calling it, "being overwhelmed by your (their) own importance".

I'd suggest you might be glad folks were so vigilant as regards fitness for duty if your loved ones were aboard a flight with difficulties.

It's not a trivial thing at all. Pilots ATC'ers, AME's... showing up for work in something less than a "fit for duty" state, can make a bad day get a lot worse, really fast.

I'm with these guys. People that dig holes for a living, or park their brain beside their lunch box when they show up for their mindless tasks, can come to work in any condition. But when your job is such that it demands precision and correct decisions 100% of the time, then it's incumbent upon those people to remove themselves from duty when they can't deliver that. For whatever reason.

Cheers,

Mitch

Hi Mitch...

I can't speak for JimH, but I don't think that anyone would honestly question valid book-offs where the individual determines that they are not fit for duty.

The problem arises where the book-offs consistently happen on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday... especially when good weather is forecast. Trends like that make it hard on the rest of the employee group.

That being said, I agree with many of the commenters from the original discussion - these trends can be tracked and identified by crew-sked and the systematic abusers should be dealt with individually. The workgroup as a whole should not have to suffer due to the inappropriate behaviour of a few.

Establishing a policy that outlines the expectations of the employer, and the consequences for the abuser of the system, should suffice. I've seen policies such as this in the health care field and at some aviation companies and the majority of folks appreciated that there was a process in place to control abuse while providing for legitimate absences.

...but then, I'm honest, innocent and naive (a) so it's hard for me to comprehend that anyone would try to take advantage of the system. ;)

I am not usually inspired to get involved in these on line chat things but in this case I am glad I did. I noticed that all responses to my "dig's" were met and answered very politely never losing sight of the topic we were debating. I now feel confident that there will be less sick time abuse and the next time I feel I have a diminished emotional capacity, I won't feel like I have left my co workers holding the bag when I have to book off.

Archived