computers and Tstorms

Guest blocked pitot

Guest blocked pitot

My computer was on during some +TS yesterday. Now when I try to connect to the Net I get an error 680: no dial tone. I called tech. support last night and she suggested my modem was fried in the electrical activity. We checked some stuff together in the “Internet connections” area and she said all seemed OK and to try to connect again, it still did not work. I called again this AM and got another agent who told me that there is no way to check over the phone if the modem is fried, and I need to bring it in for repairs. I am confused 2 people from the same company telling me 2 different stories. My phone jack works and I have my laptop hooked up to it now. Is there anything I can check myself before brining the computer in for a costly repair? I am using Windows 98.

Yes go into device manager and check the properties of the modem. There is a diagnostics self check, see if you can establish a connection with the modem. To fry a modem during a thunderstom is quite common if you don't have the phone line on a surge suppressor.

Guest bianchiboy

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert, but hopefully I can give you a couple ideas...

Bad News: Good possibility the modem is fried. You could have had a surge come up the phone line and fry it. I think with win98 if you go to control panel and modems, select properties, and see if there is something like "modem diagnostic" or "query modem". Try running that (I use XP, so I don't know if 98 had that).

Good News: 56K (which I assume you are using) modems are a dime a dozen for basic ones. Check the local computer papers for wholesale computer places. You can probably get one for around $30.

Another thing you can try is unplugging the entire system from the wall, power, phone line and all, wait about 10-15 secs, and then plug it back in and try again. Sometimes my network card will "hang" if there has been a power failure, and even if I power down and back up it doesn't reset, because there is still power going to the box, just not the processor etc...

Worth a shot. Lemme know how it goes.

Guest av8tr

if you haven't already, try re-booting your computer before you spend money you don't need to spend.

Guest blocked pitot

Thanks for the advice guys, I tried everything and still no dial tone. But the local "geek" installed a modem for me for 50 bucks, so I am back in business.

No need to bring it in for repairs, but please learn from this to unplug your electronics during +TS activity in your area or at least invest in good surge protector for both your power and phone lines.

In Control Panel double click on the Modem icon, as someone said below click on the button that says "Query Modem" or "communicate with modem" and give it a minute or two run the communication tests. If this returns an error such as "Cannot communicate with modem" then your modem is probably fried.

Hopefully I am not preaching to the choir here but here is a step by step for removing and reinstalling a modem.

Take a trip down to your local Future Shop or other big name electronics store (make sure they have a no hassle return policy,you may need it if the problem is something other than your modem) and pick yourself up a bare bones 56K modem ($30-40).

Go home unplug your PC from the wall outlet and open the case to your PC, ground yourself by touching the power supply (the large square metal box at the top rear of your PC case) locate your modem card, it will be the one with the phone jacks on the back of it. Remove the small screw holding it in the case and lift the entire card straight up to remove.

Reverse the process to install the new modem. Reattach all the cables (mouse, keyboard, monitor, phone line, and power). Start your PC and Windows98 should find the modem on startup and configure it automatically. You may need to run the installation CD that comes with the modem to activate any of the advanced functions.

Now try your internet connection. Let us know how you make out.

Cheers

Blocked, [how'd it get blocked anyway? Sounds painfull!)

I lost 4 modems to lightning, over about a 10 year span (2-2400's, a 14,400 and a 56k)... before I finaly discovered you can buy surge protectors for the phone line too! I highly recommend using one! They sell them now included in a power bar surge protector.

Well worth the few bucks.

Cheers,

Mitch

Guest blocked pitot

Thanks Mitch, I will look into that.

When I was a flight instructor, I always ended up getting an A/C (in the summer) where someone forgot to put the pitot cover on. Lots of bugs in the area and I lost my A/I a few times.

[chuckle]... I remember an instructor tried to make me fly with the airspeed covered once... he didn't like how low I wanted to fly so I could get an idea of speed, so I guess he decided that wasn't such a good idea and he never did it again. I actually don't think I'd have had a problem though... got to know speed from sound I think.... I just liked low flying. (my introductory "fam" flight was buzzing my wife) :D

Cheers,

Mitch

Archived