DOH will almost never work

handyman

I must have tripped over the same voodoo magic as Kip as I too cannot post a response to the string below.

Let's supposed the salary structure was such that a 10 year Captain was paid the same on all aircraft types. Seniority would only play a factor in attaining desired type and route structure and not salary. Now enter a merger.

If this was the case, date of hire would work with one other condition. Positions occupied are protected. No one gets bumped and the merged (more senior pilot) must wait for a vacancy to occupy. Pay is not an issue because the 10 year Captain retains his 10 year pay. Would it not work?

Guest Glen Comerford

Sure it would work then, but you are talking about a situation that does not exist. I said that date of hire makes sense when you have jobs with the same benefits and pay. Pay is the biggest stumbling block. If we had gone to a years of service pay system during the merge of Air Canada and Canadian it would not have been as painful.

imo

Cheers

Good points, both of you.I suggested to www.acpaideas.ca that since we are all taking pay cuts, and one of the main stumbling blocks to status pay was that they could not come up with a formula to ensure that no one took too much of a salary hit, that this wouold be the perfect time to go to status pay. No answer so far, but they have so much else on their plates! I still think that this is one of the ways we could cut costs, get rid of the permanent students, go to 4 year equipment bids, and the company and employees benefit. Personally, I'd fly a B717 domestically if I got paid the same as a 340 skipper busting his anatomically-unmentionable flying the Pacific just to max out his earnings before retirement. Did I just mention the 717? Oops!

Cheers all.

IE.

Hi Glen:

Good thread but I have to ask why do you keep saying that the Jazz guys want DOH? I don't know anyone here that actually thinks that a reasonable expectation. Even Picher wasn't DOH, have you read it?

The other side of this is ACPA's insistence on BOTL. Do you really think that someone who has worked 15 years for AC flying a 146 should go to the BOTL with no credit for their years of employment? That isn't fair either, is it?

My 9 years of seniority would get me a 320 Capt spot at AC, I suppose but I certainly don't want or expect that. All I really want is some credit for the time that I have already worked for AC, not for bidding equipment but for layoffs, pay and perhaps vacation. I think this would convince almost everyone here. You see? Let me come over at no loss in pay and some credit towards bidding vacation and against layoff and I'll wait for my AC seniority to build towards the equipment bid.

I'm asking the junior ACPA pilots to let us carry some, not all, of our seniority for bidding vacation and in the case of layoffs. In exchange we all get higher pay because we're not driving the pay rates down and all those shiny new aircraft will be shared by all.

seeker

Archived