Another Virus

Guest GDR

Guest cabo

I'm not sure if there is any merit to it or not, but I was told that if you add a contact to your address book such as !0000 it will prevent mailing out of your address book by a virus. "Supposedly" this is the first contact the virus will try send to and it would be rejected by the server. Anyone heard of this or know if there is any merit to it?

"Snuck" is an Americanism first introduced in the 19th century as a nonstandard regional variant of "sneaked". Widespread use of "snuck" has become more common with every generation. It is now used by educated speakers in all regions.

Formal written English is more conservative than other varieties, of course, and here "snuck" still meets with much resistance. Many writers and editors have a lingering unease about the form, particularly if they recall its nonstandard origins. And 67 percent of the Usage Panel disapproved of "snuck" in our 1988 survey.

Nevertheless, an examination of recent sources shows that "snuck" is sneaking up on "sneaked".

The Americans love to change everything :) colour/color...neighbour/neighbor etc.

Guest Jazz Monkey

The intent is to create an invalid email address that will appear alphabetically first in your contact list. Now suppose you unknowingly get a virus that sends itself to the addresses in your contact list it may stumble on the invalid address. At the least you should get an automated "message undeliverable" in your inbox from your ISP saying that the message to "xxx" (your invalid contact) encountered a problem. Obviouly you would not sent a message to an address that you know is invalid so this should set off bells in your head...

Guest Jazz Monkey

The intent is to create an invalid email address that will appear alphabetically first in your contact list. Now suppose you unknowingly get a virus that sends itself to the addresses in your contact list it may stumble on the invalid address. At the least you should get an automated "message undeliverable" in your inbox from your ISP saying that the message to "xxx" (your invalid contact) encountered a problem. Obviouly you would not sent a message to an address that you know is invalid so this should set off bells in your head...

Deleted all 90 quarantined files. Have run 2 full system scans, one last night, the other this morning. Nothing. When I go into my registry, don't find any of the files Norton says I should. So hopefully I am clean.

Thanks for you help again!

Thank you Kip, very interesting.

Now, back to the virus. I just opened my e-mail at work, and lo and behold, a message from "support@microsoft.com" titled "re; movie". I moved it to the trash bin without opening it, and called the no-help/help desk. The gentleman I spoke with knows nothing about this virus, and insists they are runnung the most up-to-date anti-virus software available (Norton). So he says, "just forget about it". Later, I'm reading the newspaper, and Reuters says it's spreading quite quickly.

This is why I call them the "no-help/help desk".

Guest ex-SkyGeek

The current worm of the week, Palyh, continued to spread rapidly Monday afternoon, with some users seeing as many as a dozen copies an hour. The worm first appeared over the weekend in Asia and Europe and began spreading in earnest here Monday.

Palyh's behavior and appearance should hold no surprises for veteran computer users, experts said.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Any e-mail arriving from an address like 'support@microsoft.com' containing an attachment should look like a huge billboard reading 'I am a virus' to every computer user," said Ian Hameroff, security strategist at Computer Associates International Inc., in Islandia, N.Y. "We all need to be wary of anything that arrives unexpectingly and includes executable attachments because virus creators will continue to use social engineering tactics for as long as they work. This worm will have its greatest impact in the home computer space since most, if not all, enterprises employ a policy of blocking attachments types like .PIF."

more...

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1094214,00.asp?kc=EWTH102099TX1K0100487

Archived