Another Virus

Guest GDR

I received 3 e-mails from support@microsoft.com that all had a virus attached. Fortunately Norton seems to have quarantined them ok.

I suspect someone is the aviation community has the worm. I received 7 copies of the w32.HLLW.Mankx virus this morning. 4 copies were marked "Cool Screensaver" or similar, and 3 were other headers. All addresses indicated support@microsoft.com which is very likely not correct.

I have also received 2 from "support@microsoft.com" with file attachments (.pif).

McAfee a/v did not catch them and they were also missed by my isp which is unusual and rare. Due to the very obvious suspicious nature I deleted them immediately. Be careful everyone!

Guest regular joe

Has anyone other than myself received emails from Big@boss.com?

I've been getting them for the past 3 months and Rogers can't seem to figure out where it's coming from.

Fortunately my Norton picks it up everytime.

Have you tried bouncing the message back to the server, sometimes that will remove your address from the automailer software of the person/s who are sending these. There are programs out there like Mailwasher that will do just that for you.

I just got new computer, and hadn't put norton on yet. So I installed it, and sure enough it found 90 files infected with W32.Kwbot.F.Worm, a different one than JW alluded to. Norton could not fix it, just quaranteen it. Is this enough?

No, You will be just deleting the infected files but the virus will still be in your computer.

Read the following, probably print it for yourself, and carry out the instructions. If you think the work is beyond your capabilities, get a knowledgeble computer friend to fix it or take the "box" to a computer shop and tell them what you have.....

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.kwbot.f.worm.html

The wife is going to kill me spending all this time on here, but anyway....

Went into the registry. Followed the directions, and couldn't find exactly what Norton said to look for. Time to enlist the help of one of the computer guys at work.

I didn't open the e-mail, or the attachment that the virus came from. It was from support@microsoft.com and I had read the original post here 30 seconds earlier.

However, once I had installed Norton and ran it, it found the virus I listed. I quaranteened the 90 files that were infected, and when I go into the registry as Norton says to do, I don't find anything they say I should. Is it possible I didn't get the worm in my registry?

A little confused.

If The email was not opened, (the attachment), then you should not have the virus in your computer...HOWEVER...if you have 90 files infected, you must have the virus in the box. It sounds like you got more than one copy of the virus and opened one and the virus snuck/sneaked in :)

If in doubt about the Registry, take the box to a voodoo machine mechanic.

If Norton quarantined the virus, then there is nothing to worry about, Rookie.

When Norton says it can't fix it, it means that it can't restore the exe file (or whatever) to its original state and this is quite normal with these types of viruses because there is no original state.

So, tell Norton to Quarantine it and go into the menu method of accessing Norton, then delete all files in quarantine.

That's all there is to it. You're clear because you wore protection.

Guest regular joe

It's ok that Norton put the virus in quarantine, it's good infact.

Go to help and it tells you all about it.

Quarantine has separated the virus from your system.

IF you ever do have a full blown virus that has corupted your system, you can always reformat your hard drive and that will nuke everything.

You lose everything though so it's not good to get viruses (as if you needed me to tell you that.)

Cheers

RJ

Guest regular joe

One more thing....

If you know the name of the virus that you think you have, Google it and you'll find out all kinds of stuff about it.

But again it's ok to have it quarantined.

Archived