AC Unions told to get with it

Actually, I think that management and most of the unions DO understand. As I indicated in a post below, and as Don Hudson indicated in one of his posts last night, there is movement on some, but not all, union fronts. Some unions - CAW, IAM, ACPA - are in serious talks and have been for days. CUPE, unfortunately, is the one organization that doesn't seem to accept anything management says. The appointment of Justice Winkler has as much to do with Pam Sachs as it does with anything else.

Guest Airmail

I don't think that management is in any denial aboit how serious it is and has been trying to get the unions to the table. So far, three of the four big unions have responded to management's request for serious negotiations (despite the public rhetoric and positioning), one essentially said that they did not think there was a problem.

Clearly, despite whatever negotiations were taking place the judge -- based probably on feedback from the monitor -- was getting impatient and decided to order everyone to the table to reach a final outcome -- so 10 days and we'll know what the future will hold.

Guest CarryOn

Pam is too busy writing rules of engagement:)to actually think any of this is serious. She has offered to give up the bonus as our part of the wage reductions(?)She still thinks we are competitive with WestJet F/A's although we work 15hrs less a month and make more than double(?)and she is trying to increase our union dues so she can hire another lawyer because 6 isn't enough.

From labour's side. By illuminating the facts and hoping that more members of CUPE educate themselves, in turn forcing the COPE executive to re-think the current strategy. As far as constitutionally, there is no mechanism to my knowledge.

From management's side. Producing the "Data box" without the lengthy delays and legal wrangling may assist in minimizing the nonsense.

Guest CarryOn

This just came in from CUPE:

We as a Union are quite frustrated at this point because we have asked Air

Canada for a Business Plan, a Financial Analysis( Due Diligence) and also we

have set out "Terms of Engagement",all of which they have neglected to

respond to.

We realize the importance of moving ahead immediately. However there is

information that has to be made available in order to bargain intelligently.

She obviously does not get the severity of the situation and for her to even send out this update is a joke. Does she not wonder why the company has not responded to her "rules of engagement"?

Carry on,

The company has not responded to ANY of the onions’ requests for information – these requests currently sit before a judge who will rule whether Air Canada has the right to continue to withhold this information. A judgement should be forthcoming at any time.

Let me ask you. If Robert realizes how bad the situation is, if he has financial documentation which will support his claim, if he does indeed have a sound business plan in place to move Air Canada forward, if he desperately needs the support of the unions and the employees as he stresses he does then why would he not cooperate with those unions as much as possible?

Why does Robert continue to deceive and resist the people that he wants so badly to support him?

Re: Pam and CUPE and the rest of the unions.

It is my opinion that all unions feel as Pam does. ACPA’s offers of late are not spawned out of good will or support for a leader that the pilots or our executive trust, ACPA is not responding for positive reasons. What is playing out before you now is nothing more than a game of cat and mouse, a game of political and PR powerplay. Pam is playing the game as is Robert, as is Rainer, Dave, Gary, Collenette and the creditors – NO different. Pam may just not be playing as well as Robert but only time will tell.

cheers

Archived