JAA Pilot Licence

Powermatic

Guest Tube Flyer

Hi Powermatic

From what I was told the 14 exams are a must to write. 50 pounds a piece I believe.

For the flying portion there are a couple of options.

If the airplane that you currently hold a type rating classifies as a 2 crew airplane by JAA standards you can do a sim ride to obtain your ATP and IFR ticket. They wouldnt recognize my Metro type rating as 2 crew.

If your airplane does not qualify under this 2 crew scenario I believe at first you must do a basic commerical flight test. And then you do a multi IFR ride. Finally then you can apply for the JAA ATP. Its been a while since I looked at the exact numbers but I believe the commercial flight test portion is at the discretion of your instructor while a minimum of 10 multi IFR hours are required.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions I can probably dig out the answers from my long list of email replies.

Guest V2-LDL

The way it was explained to me was that there is no conversion process. Whatever hours you have count towards the various requirements for licencing but all exams and flight testing are required. A one year theoretical course was recommended. I hope there's another way. Anyone???

14 Exams!!!! Haven't heard that tidbit of info before. Is there a UK version of Peter Shewring over there??

50 pounds apiece! Is that what the exam weighs or costs? I thought we had it bad in Canada.

Thanks for taking the time to post the info.

Guest Tri-spool

No, unfortunately not. Talked to a few ex-RAF pilots a few years ago and said the exams are very difficult, and very theoretical. If your lucky and pass them all, you'll be out close to $10K Can by the time you are all done. Lots of fees that nickel and dime and certainly add up in the long run! On the other hand, it is one of the most credible and recongnized licences to have in the world.

Cheers!

Guest Ozgood

I was in Sweden about 2 1/2 years ago and checked into this. JAA actually takes their ATPL exams very seriously. There were a few 'schools' that specialized in JAA conversions but they were 9-12 week courses costing between 7-10 g's. Canada's ATPL is a cakewalk compared to the rest of the world, three day Peter Shering, easy. Even Australia they are min 6 week courses. Japan is even longer than that.

The other info above regarding the flight tests is correct.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Oz!!

Unlike the licence of a physician or a lawyer an ATP allows you to practice in a foreign country. For that reason I've never understood why the requirements haven't been harmonized around the world?

I checked into this some years back and although I don't remember the details one thing did strike me as funny: they had one fee to take the exam and then another if you wanted them to actually grade it! I guess the thought was that if you didn't think you had done that well you could cut your losses and just have it torn up!

Archived