Canada Begins to Pay.....

Guest WA777

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Panama Jack

OK?

So the moral of the story for us Canadians is . . . .

Don't buy "Made in USA"?

If this is the immature reaction-- "we don't buy "Made in Canada" because they do not agree with our political stand, then surely a stand of not buying "Made in USA" because we don't agree with theirs is a perfectly acceptable situation for them.

I hear that along with renaming "French" fries to liberty fries, there are rumours afoot that the next target is Canadian bacon.

Guest regular joe

They seem to forget that it took them 2 years to declare war on Germany during WW2.

Another tidbit of trivia....
After Pearl Harbour, Canada declared war on Japan a full 24 hours before the U.S. did.

Oh ya they were also late to the game during WW1.

Guest kevenv

I can't see where they would really care if we boycotted "Made in the USA". We export in excess of 4 Billion US dollars a year more than we import from them. Considering their size versus ours I believe we would feel the pain far more than they would.

The moral of the story is....don't insult and demean your neibour unless you are willing to pay the price.Canada sell 86% of its exports to the U.S.The U.S. sells only 20 % of their exports to Canada,so do the math and imagine who has the most to loose.Besides why should anyone have to loose ,if you liberal party could keep their mouths shut for a change we wouldn't be in this mess.

Guest kevenv

From STATSCAN website regarding trade with USA:

Trade with the United States declined slightly in both respects last year. Exports south of the border fell 0.7%, but imports were virtually unchanged (-0.1%). Consequently, the annual trade surplus with the United States dropped by almost $2.2 billion to $93.7 billion. Nevertheless, the United States still accounted for 85% of all Canada's exports and 72% of all imports."

94 billion dollar trade surplus. IMO we would feel the pain far more than they would in the event of a bocott of US and Cdn goods.

Canada was one of the first to support the US after Sept 11, yet Bush left us out of his thank-you speech.

Shortly thereafter, the softwood lumber dispute raised its ugly head again and has continued to do so.

So, even if we support them, they use the big stick whenever they can.

Bottom line, business is business. US companies and individuals buy, and will continue to buy, Canadian goods because they are cheaper or higher quality, not because of political stances.

And trade disputes would continue even if we sent in troops.

I don't necessarily agree with Chretien's position on this, and I don't think our politicians should be making remarks out of hand, but our stance in this war won't have any long term repercussions on trade, in my opinion.

One good side of this in our profession is that Canadian aircraft will be less of a terrorist target when it's all over and passengers will appreciate that around the world.

Guest regular joe

The math is not that simple. American companies import from Canada because it is in most cases the cheapest alternative. Simply saying don't inport/export to Canada because we are mad at them wouldn't work or be possilbe in a capitalistic society. The only way for the U.S. government to discourage trade would be to increase taxes, tarrifs, duties etc. and that is limited under NAFTA. (I know....softwood lumber but I said limited and not impossible.) When faced with a recession and a weaker dollar, the Americans have to keep industry alive. Increased trade does this. With Bush wanting approval for greater tax relief from congress I doubt that they would want to see industry paying more for import/export out of principal.

America doesn't trade with Canada because they feel sorry for us. They do it because we have a lot to offer and it's profitable for us both.

This is just my opinion for now (I do change it from time to time) but I do enjoy hearing others.

My most sincere apologies to Longtimer. I guess when people start renaming french fries in protest, it's hard to know what's real.

Guest jeanmermoz

In Europe they have started to boycott "Made in USA" also. Now who will hurtthe most in the long run if thr rest of the world starts doing this...

Reg Joe you bring up some valid points ,my big concern is that Air Canada is not in the position ,at the moment,to loose any possible good will with the trans border U.S.pax.Yes Canada as a nation will go on,but AC can't afford to loose more money because of politics.

Guest regular joe

I do agree but I wonder if it more due to the state of the world rather then politcs between the U.S. and Canada. Do you think that if Canada supported the U.S. the economic out come would have been different? Or at least Air Canada's position be different?

Guest regular joe

I do agree but I wonder if it would be due to the state of the world rather then politcs between the U.S. and Canada. Do you think that if Canada supported the U.S. the economic out come would have been different? Or at least Air Canada's position be different?

Guest leftbase

I know, I know, I'm risking becoming the Kip Powick of grammatical usage but please don't be offended if I gently point out that:

loose=opposite of tight
lose=opposite of win

lb
(cursed with two English-teacher parents...)

The concept that the U.S. will treat Canada in any other manner than according to their own internal wishes, is naive in the extreme. We can toady up to them all we want, as some would have us do, but in the end it won't make any difference... the Americans will do exactly what they want and Canada can be damned. If you believe otherwise, you simply do not understand the American collective psychology.

If this war has done nothing else, it should show you that the U.S. will do exactly as it wishes, and that the concerns of the rest of the world matter little.

The U.S. does not make geopolitical partnerships on the basis of equality. It makes them on the basis of superiority. The U.S. wouldn't sacrifice a single soldier for Canada if they didn't think it was in their own best interests to do so.

neo

I'm so embarased by our government and it's childish "sovereign" stand, I'm going to quit buying Canadaian too.....End rant!!

"Q"

It was in the planning long before the twin towers came down.Its a direct result of U.S. foreign policy ie.continued support of the jews no matter what they do in the middle east.Next stop Syria..who of course we all know support the other side.So if you think Iraq is the objective,your wrong..its the first stop.Just FYI,i'm from nothern european
background.What scares me is not if Air Canada survives but Bush's new world order.We will all pay in the end.I'm just trying to look at the bigger picture.

That's exactly my point. It's the little guy who's willing to sacrifice to achieve some worthy _collective_ goal, not the one with the power.

The whole idea of retaining superior power is so that you don't have to sacrifice, or that you have to sacrifice little, or that you can make other people do the sacrificing for you. That's simply the nature of the game.

The confusion arises for many because most of us know an American or two. On an individual basis Americans are, by and large, hugely likable people. But geopolitically-speaking, we don't deal with Americans one on one. We deal with them collectively through their government and that is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Never, ever forget the quintessential American farewell: "Sucker!"

neo

Archived