Lead singer of Doug and the Slugs dies

Kip Powick

Kip;

You need a subscription to read your link. Can you give me the gist? I remember seeing Doug and the Slugs at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver when I was a "rambunctious" lad...

What a shame... Chinatown Calculation, Tomcat Prowl...

Bummer...

martini.gif

He seemed to have settled down quite a bit. I didn't think it was the "rock and roll" lifestyle that got to him... There is life after Rock and Roll, ask dr1 wink.gif

Thanks for the info Kip.

As of last night, I now bid adieu to the T-Rex and have a callous on my index finger! My arse is going to be sore in the next week I'll bet! 7 hour airplane but I've only got a 4 hour butt... blink.gif

You need a subscription to read your link. Can you give me the gist?

The Gist:

Doug dies... the Slugs slither in sorrow? wink.gif

(with sincere apologies to those affected - intended as humour only... which, I can only imagine, Doug Bennett might have appreciated)

Well Steam man... as you've now downgraded to the electroflight methods, can we expect you to be changing your handle to something like Electron Driven? biggrin.gif

I've thought about it, but you know you can take the boy out of the T-Rex, but you can't take the T-Rex outta the boy...

martini.gif

STEAMDRIVEN.....I am sure everyone has his favourite aircraft and like you, mine was the T-Rex. Those that have never had a chance to handle the bird will never realize that it was one of the last aircraft that a pilot had to really fly.

There is nothing wrong with the advent of advanced technology, hell, I had 3 years on the A310 with WD, the first year was an enormous ego trip, the second year I really got to know every facet of the aircraft, and by the third year I was bored with the technology. In my opinion, my hands on skills were decreasing, let's face it ..the damned computers could,(most of the time), do a better job of flying a profile than any pilot, but punching buttons, in my opinion, took a lot of fun out of the job.

CP buys WD......Into the T-Rex.......a leap backward in technology and a gigantic leap forward to the utilization of ones piloting skills. It became a better game...who was more accurate, him over in the other seat or me.....you win some and lose some, but flying was fun !!!!

Enjoy your "advanced" aircraft blink.gif

PS...The T-Rex will do a decent barrel roll wink.gif

Gentlemen,

This is a rock n' roll obituary, if you please.

I first saw Doug (and the Slugs) at Rohan's on 4th Avenue, in the heart of Kitsilano, YVR. It's a dentist's office now. He won't remember it now, but a pilot who I won't name, (but his initials are Brian Woodley) bit me on the finger when I gamely challengend him to an arm wrestle that night. Doug was a singer who inspired madness of that sort.

Those of you... namely bluemic, Kip Powick, dr1 and certain others who have a reputation in Vancouver's Chinatown... will remember the song that Doug wrote for them: Chinatown Calculation. (that's cool, there's no regrets...)

It's Too Bad that many of you won't experience the joie de vivre that Doug had for the off beat and the down beat. Regretabbly, the son of a bitch was my age! The "Naughty Word" had no business dying. Those of you who never saw him at the Commodore have missed a treat.

neo

Doug and the Slugs were one of the best Bar Bands bar none. I remember them in Vancouver on the Granville scene. The Slugs, The Powder Blues Band, you knew you were in for a good time if they were playing in the club.

Music for the Hard of Thinking. Just my style.

Cheers. martini.gif

Archived