Pride...The Eighth Deadly Sin

Guest Santa Clause

Guest Santa Clause

If you're not employed in the airline industry it is probably hard to understand why "professionals" with such standards would not be able to see each others point. Unfortunately the Air Canada (ACPA) pilots have had their way for so long that other opinions don't seem to matter. They have had management wrapped around their finger for so long that they just can't fathom "bending" a little. (Even if they agree to "bend" if they have to, you still can't trust them because they’ll just take their ball and bat and go make their own game somewhere else. (Even if it means they have to play with themselves...no pun intended!!)

The problem for ACPA is that they (ACPA) are not holding the hammer over Air Canada's head anymore but are rather at the mercy of Mr. Farley and ultimately the shareholders. They need to wake up and realize that they are no longer funded by the deep pockets of the federal government but by people who are driven by a "bottom line. When the share price is $1.67 exactly 2 years after it was over $20.00 there is obviously a real problem and someone needs to realize that "real" change needs to take place.

Unfortunately the ACPA pilots think that they are still bullet proof and have not considered the consequences of such other "Canadi>n" Institutions as Eatons, and Woodwards. (Pun intended!)

This issue is not about who flies nasty weather approaches better; it's about pride...the 8th deadly sin. Plenty of proud men and women have gone to their graves maintaining what they thought was their dignity only to be later referred to as "fools for a silly cause".

After "Pichet", ACPA pilots have nothing to be proud of..they squandered their Honor away when they left CALPA, (the very association they themselves had formed) like the shameful sluts they really are. It is time they got down off their high horse, opened their eyes to the real world and realized that things have changed since the “Glory days" of the past. To have a job in the economic times we are in is a privilege; to have a job you like and receive “great” remuneration for is a bonus.

The highest paid pilots aren’t paid that money ($250,000 +) because they went to school for ten years and paid $100,000 for their education and work an average of 4-5 days per week. (read Doctor for example) They are paid that money because they got there first back in the “Glory days” (you know…just after they left from flying that Beaver up north!) and have negotiated the 8 day months, huge wages and other “feather bedding” along the way. (Note: I respect the fact that the actual job of “flying the aircraft and the associated knowledge/skills are indeed required to be very proficient…that said… so are many other jobs. If you feel like jumping up and down and saying yeh but what about all the lives we’re responsible for…is a G4 pilot any less responsible for the lives of his 10 passengers that the pilot of a 747. Notice I said pilots. I like to think of crew members as synergistic and responsible in the safe execution of moving an aircraft from departure to destination)

I have ranted enough about the sluts who think they are professionals and of how we got to “this juncture” and it probably wouldn’t be prudent to ramble on any more than I have, except to say that the pride that gets in your way today will not get you much sympathy from your banker on Monday. Consider the situation and in the great words of Dr. Phil “Get Real”

Guest rj200

Thanks Santa for such a beautiful recap of what the Air Canada Pilots (Ass) has done to the piloting profession in Canada. They have made a true mockery of what it is to be a 'true professional'.

I must quote an old gentleman that I met in T2 during the 'Strike of ???'...

"power employed for its own sake is a fatal intoxicant that undermines the victor with moral defeat..."

"They have made a true mockery of what it is to be a 'true professional'".

They may have made a mockery of being a true professional, but your posts show that not every pilot has the ability to become a "true professional". How did you ever get out of kindergarten?

Guest rj200

If you are indeed a cargo agent or from any other employee group within the 'AC Family' I have the utmost respect for you and wish you all the best...

I will never forgive ACPA for what they have done to this corporation and our careers!

Guest Santa Clause

Good one, TN

I was wondering how long it would take before someone caught on...If there was a prize you get it!! Actually it was just meant "tongue in cheek" to draw attention.

Cheers,

SC

Guest flyersclub

while i do agree with some things you have said about the pilot profession, it was the pilots at canadian and canadian regional airlines that stepped up to the plate and made the FIRST move (of employee groups) to rescue/save those airlines when times were tough. it meant we survived long enough to have jobs at ac/acr ... of course now you ask, was that a blessing or not?? i have never seen an honourable move by acpa yet.

Guest 108-2

"power employed for its own sake is a fatal intoxicant that undermines the victor with moral defeat..."

This sounds like he was smoking what he was selling.

Archived