People, Problems and Spin

Vsplat

Emotions are running high right now. Clearly everyone involved in this sorry mess just wants a glimmer of hope that one day they will have control again of their lives.

Let's be clear what is driving us all now, union or management, even TC bystanders - control.

Now before you jump, understand that we are not talking about evil dictators. Every single person wants to be able to determine their future, and for a great while now, that basic need has been denied. Nerves are fraying, divisions forming. In the midst of it all, our helpful media.

I had one encounter with a bottom-feeder wearing a media tag yesterday. Looking for something to spin and print. Did I have a comment? "Only that Air Canada is one of the finest and safest airlines in the world and we will keep it that way". Never made it to print. Funny.

We must know that our need for control, self-determination if you will, makes us vulnerable to button-pushing. As horrific as it sounds, those we trust the most are pushing those buttons to garner support for a "higher purpose", i.e. their solution. Who or what can we believe?

I believe in people. Over my brief few decades in this business I have been lucky enough to work directly with most of the players involved in the current battle. I have known most of the leadership for many years. Individually, each is a fine and worthy individual, undeserving of the tags they have acquired as a course of their work. These men and women are aging daily while others heap scorn on them in thanks.

Poor show.

Milton is not the problem. Nor is Calin, Rob, Hugh, Rainer or Don. We are not here soley due to CUPE, IAM, CAW or, dare I say it, ACPA. The issue is the process that has allowed us to operate as we have and deal with crises in such a fruitless way. The media can't say all this in a four word headline, so they hit a person. We don't need to.

ACPA is the last union at the table. That doesn't make them the hold-out, it makes them the garbage collector. From my review of the management and union information (albeit old), it appears that any savings the company didn't feel they could reasonably get from the other unions was simply bumped to the pilots. Read the words carefully - "target savings for this group". Who set the targets? Why is no one commenting on that process?

So here we are. The pressure tactics are on, the media is in full spin and the finger pointing is well established.

Now is your chance, maybe for the last time in a while, to exercise your right of control. Step back from the manipulation, take a walk, do something non company for a few minutes and be a human first. If you are lucky enough to have others in your life who care for you, take some time to be with them and get caught up on their life. You might be suprised at what you've missed while glued to the news.

When you come back to the info-maze, understand that everything you read is a spin game and don't fall for it.

Just my opinion.

Vs

"That doesn't make them the hold-out, it makes them the garbage collector"

Very good point, in fact it wasn't that long ago that this same situation exsisted at UAL with Maint being the "garbage collector" and a lot of the comments now being directed at Pilots are pretty much word for word what was directed at them.

So for those who supported UAL Maint please remember this when venting your frustratios, and for those who derided them keep that in mind if you find yourself on the receiving end of these frustrations.

Brett

Archived