Sort of off topic to AME's

Guest cargonaut

Guest cargonaut

Hi folks. I'm actually a pilot at Cargojet, and happy to remain one, but my girlfriend is thinking about a career change and is seriously interested in finding out more about becoming an AME.

She knows the level of respect I have for the people who keep our planes in great shape.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where she could go to school and what is involved. We live in the Hamilton area.

Thanks in advance

Good Grief! .... If she really likes abuse, and you haven't the stomach to steer her clear, the closest thing to her is likely to be Centennial College in Scarborough. But seriously, the only way to happiness in this job is if you have a sick and incurable love of aircraft.

Cheers, and wish her luck for me.

Guest jettech

As the fairer sex in this industry I can say that it not all doom and gloom that Mitch makes it sound to be. I have been the lone female at a few smaller operators before moving to an airline and have really enjoyed my 17 years in aviation so far.I have always questioned my move to an airline,however, I actually would not change a thing.
Centennial or Confederation are good colleges.I would also recommend that once finished school,she try different types of aircraft and operators to decide for herself what she would like to work on the most.
Best of luck to her!!

Guest fixit

You're kidding, right?? with AC spilling its guts on the floor, our crappy wages (less than auto mechanics in many cases) will only go lower as the market gets saturated with unemployed AME's...add in nightshifts, working with chemicals, high pressure and hot equipment, manual labour, liability, tools,dealing with pilots, management , TC, etc

As far as respect, there are a few pilots who actually appreciate that we keep the machines in good shape (and we appreciate that ), but many think we are there to serve them. I like the aircraft, thats it. (well, used to)...

If I had known then what I know now.....

Seriously, steer her clear. best advice I can give you.

Guest ah crap

Tell her to stay the hell away from the trade.
We at the former GX had to fight for years to finally get recognized as skilled trade. We are governed by Federal not provincial. Our appreticeship is 4 years instead of five and for that we are rewarded as unskilled labor. We must know and keep up to date with countless rules, manuals, supervisors who often would put sched before safety and in the aviation industry we are the lowest form of the dirt under a pilot's shoes.
No offence to any pilot meant. If I had to do it all over, I would pick a different trade. Sadly enough, we might all be able to go for a carear change soon...

"As far as respect, there are a few pilots who actually appreciate that we keep the machines in good shape (and we appreciate that ), but many think we are there to serve them."

The mech's keep my ass safe therefore, I respect them. I've enjoyed many ac related discussions with ame's and have learned much in regard to an ac's private parts.

If she is truly interested in a technical type career, I suggest photocopier repair, computer mainframe repair, plumber, electrician, BUT NOT AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE!

If she has an undying obsession with aircraft and doesn't ever require positive reinforcement, likes working shifts (at the airlines anyways) enjoys being surrounded by greasy,unshaven, sometimes vulgar, devilishly handsome ;) guys (that was for Mitch) then Aircraft Maintenance is right for her :D

The commitment required can be daunting, but the rewards can also be great. The one thing to remember is that we all complain, but we're still here.

Best of luck to her

Brett

Guest fixit

I'm still here because if i were to start a new career at this point, it would take me years to recover from lost wages and build the new career up.....but for anyone who is thinking of getting into the field I stand by my comments.

One thing about AME's, they are probably some of the most honest, trustworthy people you will ever meet. Thats why they deserve better than they get in this business....

Guest fixit

I have a lot of respect for pilots, many of my friends are pilots. I too have had many interesting and lively discussions, but many more are arrogent and sometimes just downright rude to us as a group.

Its quite silly actually. We all depend on each other to get things done properly and safely....

Guest cargonaut

You people complain more than we pilots do!

But honestly, thanks for the candid responses guys and girls.

I'll make sure she see's both sides and talks with a few of the guys at my company and visits the hangar. It was an "I never thought of that before" idea at supper tonight, and she knows that I still love my career after all the ups and downs.

I know things suck right now, I've had my share of lumps too, but I still have (blind) faith that the sun will shine again one day.

Cheers and thanks

"One thing about AME's, they are probably some of the most honest, trustworthy people you will ever meet. Thats why they deserve better than they get in this business...."

Without a doubt the fixers and flyers are the yin and yang of the industry.

Guest HPT-TOUR

Can you tell me then why all you YXU mtc types own airplanes and drive nice cars and get all the girls.

Guest ah crap

Hmmm, 2 guys own their own planes, a cub and a 150. Maybe a couple guys have nice cars. The women comment can stay :)

Archived