Hello McFly ?????

Guest 100 Above

Guest 100 Above

Just saw Canada's self proclaimed " aviation expert " on CTV NewsNet, and almost threw up, being that I saw him while I was swallowing my dinner.

He claims, Air Canada's Pilots could be to blame for the possible liquidation of the empire, and in his opinion, WE have always been the toughest group to deal with.

Well Jacques baby, if you are reading this message, go screw yourself.

Anyone, and I mean anyone who would be asked to give up 40 % of his /her pension and close to 35 % of their straight wage and then some in contractual jargon, would venture down the road we and ACPA are heading.

So what if I make around 180,000 a year !! I am highly trained and have to maintain this level of competency to care for the safe carriage of my passengers on a high speed jet. Nothing against baggage handlers, nor ticket agents, etc... but can anyone of these people hop into the left seat of the A320 and do what I do ???? I bet I can do the job of a baggage handler within an hour !!!

Why are people bitching about our salaries and then watch their favourite athlete on TV who makes a mere 5 Million for six months and deem that they are worth it ???

It is absolutely ludicrous. The problem lies in the fact that people will pay what they want to pay, and that goes for anything, in our crazy world. And now that the new line has been set for airfares/salaries by our colleagues at the likes of WestJet and Royal and Canjet, the longed after high profile/paying AC pilot job is a mere memory.

Do I think/believe that we should contribute, you are damned right I do, but I believe that I am worth all that I make now, and no less. I will gladly , and I say again gladly, take a hit like everyone else, but only like everyone else. I understand that I make more than most, but that's just the way my life played out. But it costed me alot more in education fees to get where I am, and I will be damned if i am supposed to carry the burden of others because of that fact.

We live in a jealous, sick world, where everyone always tries to take from the bigger wage earners to supplement the rest of the world.

I will do what I have to do to keep my glorious profession alive, BUT STOP, for God's sake, this continual bashing of the AC Pilot. I hear it on the news, I see it on TV, I read it on this Forum and in the newspapers. It makes me sick !!!

Good luck to us all. Remember, our lives are what we make of them, and we entered a career of choices. Some chose Jazz, WestJet, TransAt, AC, but we should not gloat, mock, stab, etc..our colleagues as the tides change....

I'm outta here...100 Above

I agree with you 100 above, you should earn a damned good wage. (And Jaques often makes me feel ill too!)
...but you should've caught this little error: "But it costed me alot more in education fees to get where I am"
;)

Guest rance

100 above;

I agree with some of what your saying regarding the worth of pilots for what we do.Unfortunatly, the laws of supply and demand govern and right now there is not alot of demand for our services.
I think alot of the "bashing" of ac pilots comes from years of them dictating to others and looking down on everyone else and now the shoe is on the other foot..sort of speak. It gets the profession no where and i agree it is time for all to stop.
Bottom line is we all do the same job and should repect each other.

Guest Flytdeck

100 Above:

The reason for your frustration is possibly the mistaken impression that we are paid what we are worth. This is not the case. We are paid what we can negotiate and that occasionally has a direct correlation to what the market will bear. Within Air Canada, we are somewhat insulated from the vagaries of the marketplace due to the high cost of the training Air Canada supplies, and the security stemming from our Association. The fact is, once the agreement has been signed as to the value of your services, your previous experience, training, and education have no relevance other than for you to draw upon in the performance of your duties.

The authors and writers of news are also paid according to a negotiated value for their services. Our society immerses itself in controversy therefore writers, in their mission to satisfy this ever present craving, (and support a more substantial pay packet from the “news” service) generate controversy at every opportunity. ACPA has been selected by some writers to play the part of the “bad guys”. Fortunately, there are some other writers providing a much more balanced perspective. Remember, a lot of these columns are there for entertainment, NOT to provide information.

We have reached a point where it is impossible for the Company to continue in the current marketplace. This now had a direct bearing on the value of your services. If the company is unable to pay AND sustain operations, there is no point to retaining your services UNLESS your services are discounted to a point where they can survive. This is the hard, cold reality of being bound to a failing Company.

The Company has completed negotiations with the other unions and determined how much they are willing to pay for their services. We are last in line. At some point our negotiating committee will either reach a compromise with Air Canada or come to the conclusion that we are unwilling to provide our services for the remuneration being offered. At that point they will present a proposal we can vote upon and either accept or reject.

Nobody really enjoys change, especially when it has such a negative impact on our lives. I have every confidence that our hard-working negotiating committee (highest respect and appreciation for this team) is looking after our interests and will eventually return with their best effort. In the meantime, a positive attitude and thick skin will probably enhance your quality of life (and possibly a little beer…. (B) )!

I can't say I disagree. It is one serious game of high stakes poker though. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be much in the pot.

Who will blink first? In the end there will be nothing left or it may be just a place to hang your hat long enough to find something better. That, at least, would be a better option than EI. IMHO

Guest rance

Great post flytdeck.

The general public also doesn't have alot of sympathy for pilots as most see us as overpaid and underworked.It doesn't help when some pilots brag to their friends at cocktail parties that they only work 12 days a month, travel the globe for free and make 180K per year.
Maybe it would help us all if we tell people about our last catII approach in fog, our 14 hour duty days and our medical and sim checks.
Its hard to get public support for our wages when police officers and teachers are making 40K year.

cheers

Archived