Re: Another Seaking down

Wolfhunter

As I recall the Seaking has 3 chip lights, main gearbox, intermediate gearbox and tail rotor gearbox... mag plugs but no lights for the engines. There were several factors IMO that contributed to the ditching in question. One was a new main gearbox lube pump mod (#2 pump I think) that occasionally caused cavitation of gearbox oil and high operating temperatures. Although subsequently corrected, this condition tended to feed on itself. The inital cavitation caused a temp increase and the increased temp resulted in further cavitation. Second, a manual fuzz burner had recently been installed in the accident aircraft and, since it was new, there was little guidance/procedures in its use and limitations. Yup... they ended up with both problems at or about the same time. Gearbox temp was at or above max (145C if memory serves) and while the fuzz burner would temporarily extinguish the MGB light, it would illuminate again a few seconds later. The crew interpreted this as symptomatic of pending gearbox failure and elected to ditch. As I recall no vibrations were associated. Even though the sea state at the time was calm the Seathing will pick up in excess of a ton of water through its various voids (sonar, sono tubes etc.) within 30 to 45 mins. Because the MGB is is heavy and high they normally turn turtle within 1 to 1.5 hours. Cheers.

Archived