Just as predicted, Others will fill void.

Guest b52er

If I were WestJet I would dread this scenario. A major part of that carrier's success has been a weakened competitor, much as Air Canada's success at the end of the century was linked to CAIL's problems.

Imagine if a U.S. carrier like Southwest is allowed to cherry pick prime Canadian destinations. Do you think they would operate at a discount when airports are courting business? Look and Delta and Fredericton. Things would be done on the foreign carrier's terms, or they would be gone.

Their terms would make even WestJet bleed.

From here on out, it will be interesting to see Clive dance. There is still opportunity, but there is a lot more risk, not only from a right-sized AC, but from the very folks you are "predicting".

Be careful what you wish for.

Guest WA777

If WJ decides to start flying all over the world, filling the void...picking up the pieces after AC is gone, they will not be the same company they are today... you can count on it...!

From another angle....perhaps now others will begin to realise how much of the funding to Candaian airports is supplied by Air Canada, and how much of an effect it will have if they do cut back....

Guest jeanmermoz

Then WJ will see all his profit melt because operating to places like LHR, CDG, FRA, etc... it is not cheap to obtain all the slots i.e. gate access etc..And it does not fit the WJ business plan.

Actually it would seem it's quite relevant. Take a look at Calgay's case . They said in that clip that they are already scaling back spending in response to it. I would imagine they are starting to worry a bit in YYZ too...

Just to clear this up...I don't think that there has ever been any hint from Clive and Westjet that they would want AC completely out of the picture, thats Miltons pipedream for everyone else. Competion is good, and thats how WestJet has flourished, under a competitive situation. Clive et al would like a fair competitive structure which has not quite been the case.

Guest WA777

Actualy I meant WJ would be a lot worse off.....I have a sneaking suspicion that BIG EGOS will get in the way of the right business decision anyway.....

Guest WA777

Actually I meant WJ would be a lot worse off.....I have a sneaking suspicion that BIG EGOS will get in the way of the right business decision anyway.....

Guest Charterdude

Quoted from the Calgary Herald...

"At its annual meeting Wednesday, the Calgary Airport Authority said it does not expect to recover any of the $5 million it is owed by Air Canada from unpaid landing fees and airport improvement charges collected from passengers".

So what is AirCanada doing with the AIF? Now there using money that isn't even theirs?

Interesting.......

Archived