Air Force One

DEFCON

I noticed a clip on TV today of GWB boarding AF1. As he approached the boarding stairs two military officers positioned to the left and right of the stairs went into the frozen salute mode. GW paused and made several attempts to shake the hand of one of these officers, all to no avail. When GW finally gave up his gesture was indicative of, "okay, to hell with ya then".

Question: Is this officer a democrat with a bee in his bonnet or in the alternative, might he be new to the team and a little reluctant to do that which is not part of the SOP?

I would hope the latter is true as I can't see this officers career going forward another day if it was in fact his intention to make "a statement".

Guest Retyred

Interesting to note that you suggest 'Dubyahs' attitude was quite simply ''okay..to hell with ya then''!!

Trust you won't mind me observing that this is not the first time, and likely not the last, that the illustrious leader of the free world has demonstrated that attitude.

Instead of carping at some junior officer in 'frozen salute', wouldn't it seem logical that GWB as the 'Commander in Chief' have either the wisdom or the smarts to defuse the dilemma by just returning the salute! Or possibly I am just expecting too much..I thought a true leader had the innate ability to put the underlings at ease..not the other way 'round!!

Guest Starman

Those guards are not just there for decoration. I suspect that the SOP for the frozen salute includes resistance to any and all distractions while protecting the office of the commander in chief.

Unfortunately, Dubya's reaction is indicative of someone who confuses himself with the office he holds, demonstrating once again that the most powerful man in the world has an ego the size of Texas and an intellect the size of Rhode Island.

Perhaps my description of GW's reaction was a little blunt? If you get a chance to see it please pass on your comments. I was wondering if someone had any factual info on the SOP's of these officers.

Guest frozinorth

My the times have changed...

There was a story of Bill Clinton descending the stairs of Air Force One in Washington after a weekend back in Arkansas. Under each arm he was carrying a small piglet.

The guard at the bottom of the stairs exclaimed "nice pigs Mr. President."

Bill bellowed back "PIGS!... PIGS!... these aren't PIGS!. These are the finest examples of Arkansas Razorback Hogs on the planet. See this one here," he said as he lifted the razorback in his right hand. "This one I got for Chelsea, and this one here," he said lifting the razorback he was carrying in his left hand, "I got for Hillary! What've ya got to say to that?" he asked.

To which the guard replied, without hesitation... "nice trade sir."

Just a guess, but was "Hail to the Chief" being played at this time? If so, protocol appears to call for a salute to be 'held' until the end of the piece.

(excerpt)
c. Outdoors. Whenever and wherever the United States National Anthem, “To
the Color,” “Reveille,” or “Hail to the Chief" is played, at the first note, all
dismounted personnel in uniform and not in formation face the flag (or the music,
if the flag is not in view), stand at attention, and render the prescribed salute. The
position of salute is held until the last note of the music is sounded.

http://usasma.bliss.army.mil/pubs/FM_22-5/PDF/appa.pdf

I'm not 100% sure, but George W. not being in the "active" military and being a civilian is not allowed to salute.

I'm not sure where I read or heard that but if there are any of our Military types out there perhaps they can clarify this for me.

Funny you should ask. I posted this a couple hours ago but then deleted it as being a bit too much of a diatribe and a bit off topic. But, since your question is about GW's salute, here's the opinion article that appeared in the International Herald Tribune today.

Guest metro301

The clip struck me as odd too. However, if you look to the lower right of the screen, you will see that GWB is actually waving his other dog up the stairs of Airforce 1, he was carrying the black one. After poochy runs up the stairs he then salutes the Airforce honor guard. Which he is entitled to do as Commander in Chief.

Archived