Sad Ending

Guest manwest

Guest BigSkyGuy

Used to love watching her taking off 33R in YYZ bound for Narita. It was the "Tokyo Bomber" to the folks in the tower. It was fun to work the rolling takeoff between the landers on 24R(i mean the real 24R, the north parallel). This particular flight always captured the attention of everyone in the tower, because for a fleeting moment you always wondered if it was really going to get airborne or not. I'm sure some drivers on Derry road got some interesting looks at a DC-10, especially in August. I once sat at the edge of the runway in a truck by the GOLF intersection when she took off. It was very impressive to have her roll right by us at almost Vr. I miss the DC-10 too.

Guest Panama Jack

Recently, in one of the Airline magazine they had an article of one of the Air Canada (still in Canadian colors) B-737's which was flown to Florida to be scrapped. Went through all the stages, with photos, as they removed anything that could be parted out for cash, and then as they sent in equipment. When they described the part which was to "break the wing spar", I almost read it as a breaking of the neck or the backbone. It was sad to see the progress of an airworthy aircraft intentionally turned into your next coke can.

The view from the centre seat on those infamous Black Power takeoffs was pretty interesting too. I remember on the furtive glances away from the N1 gauges not being able to see pavement at rotation. After a while I stopped looking outside and imangining dragging the gear through the approach lights. It was a helluva machine.

Guest BigSkyGuy

Saw one once where the nose wheel was just coming up crossing the 24R intersection! A Ukraine IL-62 a few years ago going to Kiev did take out a couple of approach lights. The old Royal B727's were often very sporting as well. :P

Guest Starman

The Stretched 8 on takeoff out of Calgary on a hot day was a "leap of faith"...

I always loved flying the 10, except at V1 on a black power takeoff (talk about high energy on the ground!)

But for Big Sky... I've also always felt that the takeoff calculation for 33R in YYZ was optimistic to say the least. The official gradiant of the runway is just the height differential between the button of 33R and the button of 15L, but in reality, on 33R you accelerate uphill and if you reject, you decelerate downhill... it seems to me that we sometimes barely made screen height on 3, nevermind had we lost one and done it on 2...

Archived