If This Isn't The Oddest Collection Of Flying Machines You've Ever Seen...

Mitch Cronin

Always amazing to see what people choose as hobbies. The amount of work that goes into these models is incredible.

Growing up in West Island Montreal, my next door best friend's father was an AC Captain....DC-9 at the time in think. He spent one winter building a large scale Piper Tri-pacer and I was invited over often to witness the process. The pride and care was more than obvious at each stage of production. Then one fine spring day we all went out for the maiden flight.

I can't remember the name, but there was a quiet stretch of road in nearby Kirkland where drag racers used to test their cars so it made for a nice long runway surface. First take off was perfect and it got airborne in a short distance. However, for some reason he didn't fuel it up enough and the engine quit while passing overhead. He didn't panic and brought it back around for a perfect landing. Out of the blue, an 18 wheeler came rolling down this road, like something out that movie "Duel" and as soon as the Piper touched down and rolled to a stop, the fast moving truck flattened that beautiful RC model.

It was the first time I'd ever seen a grown man cry.

Archived