11 November 2009

Kip Powick

I will be pausing at 1100 for the 2 minutes. My grandfather fought in WW1 and an uncle in WW2 and an uncle in Korea. All survived thankfully.

Does anyone know what the age limit was in WW1 for enlistments? Was it 24? I think my grandfather may have lied about his age.Just curoius.

God bless to all in the Armed Services and thank you.

November 11, by co-incidence 1100 hrs, taxiing in at JFK in a DC-9 sometime in the late '60s.

The Captain stops the aircraft, sets the parking brake and gets on the PA. Reminds everyone that it is the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, and a brief observation of silence in remembrance would be appropriate, following which we would resume taxiing. Not sure how that would go down today but there were no complaints from anyone.

November 11, by co-incidence 1100 hrs, taxiing in at JFK in a DC-9 sometime in the late '60s.

The Captain stops the aircraft, sets the parking brake and gets on the PA. Reminds everyone that it is the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, and a brief observation of silence in remembrance would be appropriate, following which we would resume taxiing. Not sure how that would go down today but there were no complaints from anyone.

The flight departed at midnight Nov 10th and approx 9 hours later it crossed the dateline and it was Nov 12th.

We missed the 11th hour of the 11th month.

The Captain picked an opportune time once cruise altitude was reached.

Cabin service was paused.

A PA announcement relevant to the day was made which included reading the poem "In Flanders Fields."

There were no complaints this time either.

Archived