Feathered Friends?

Kip Powick

Two weekends back, legendary Bay Street power broker Jack Lawrence joined a foursome that included Tim Hortons co-founder Ron Joyce and former U.S. president George W. Bush for a round of golf in Nova Scotia.

The game at Fox Harb’r Golf Resort saw Mr. Lawrence, aged 75, take a few bucks off his companions. It also saw Mr. Joyce, aged 78, warn his friend and fellow pilot that aviation was a young person’s pastime.

“I cautioned him on flying, I told him that I no longer fly alone,” recalled Mr. Joyce Tuesday. Mr. Lawrence didn’t take that advice. The supremely connected bond trader, money manager and brokerage industry executive died Monday when his float plane crashed on the flight back to Toronto from cottage country.

Mr. Lawrence, the pilot, and companion Carol Richardson were killed when their Cessna 206 crashed into woods shortly after taking off from Lake Muskoka. Police say the plane hit the ground after clipping trees on the shoreline and that an injured duck was found at the scene, prompting speculation the single-engine aircraft may have come down after hitting birds.

FULL STORY HERE

Birds again

Notwithstanding the good advice in this instance, I'm not to sure I'd want flying tips from Mr. Joyce dry.gif

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Morning "Moon",

The article in your post does not say Mr. Joyce was flying the plane when they had the incident...

Have you heard otherwise?? Just curious cause perhaps if he was, after that incident perhaps he felt that he should not be in the "pointy end".

Guest woxof

He doesn't have a good reputation in the aviation industry.

Believe I have 3 accident reports from his company ranging from runway excursions to hitting trees on approach. Awaiting the report on the writeoff of the brand new Global 5000 at Fox Harbour. Also flipped a Caravan over on landing.

Rumour has it that they didn't get their insurance payout on the last accident.

In the end, the first and third paragraphs in this post are just rumour. Any confirmation?

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.p...6&hilit=jetport

Archived