The Story of Stuff

Kip Powick

The first part reminded me of "The Corporation". I recommend the book: Cradle to Cradle

Remaking the Way We Make Things. By William McDonough & Michael Braungart.

Similar material but more detail and more solutions.

Sorry Kip - Couldn't get past 2 minutes with all the subtle "shouldn't we be ashamed of ourselves" propaganda.

Ths guy makes the same point but in a more straightforward and honest manner that we still remember 22 years later

George on STUFF

Sorry Kip - Couldn't get past 2 minutes with...........

Why apologize to me???.... I didn't produce the video wink.gif

I tend to disagree with the old skit by George, oh yeh kinda funny , and although I have never been accused of being overly "green", I think the lady has a better perspective and a better explanation as to how NA society has evolved into a throw-away generation.

While many may escape from reality to listen, and laugh, with George, I think many are NOT aware of just how bad the situation is.

I think if you took the time and listened to the full video you might have a better appreciation of its content.

She has some very valid points.

I think if you took the time and listened to the full video you might have a better appreciation of its content.

She has some very valid points.

I did Kip, and you're right - she does. It’s the innuendo and lack of objectivity in the earlier part of her presentation that put me off. If Annie wants my attention then give me the straight facts and a bit of humour or a new idea to grab my attention early but make your presentation objectively and let me come to my own conclusions without the innuendo, subliminal jibes and propaganda. If you can’t then I know I’m not getting the complete truth and more often than not turn away.

Still though, she does have some valid points. As I'm sure many of us do from time to time, I wonder about many of those same issues myself, and if we're not all nuts with our consumerism.

Perhaps it because I spent my early years, and many summers later on, on a dairy farm in Ireland, or maybe it’s because all the time I spend out in Guelph these days and a respect for the sustainable lifestyle of the Amish folks out there, or maybe it’s just recognizing myself as the butt of George’s humour, but I’m not really sure my own happiness has been improved with all the “stuff” that I have today.

If there wasn’t somebody in the media telling me that I definitely need new skis or a car this year, or that skinny and young is the the ideal of beauty, or that our Medical system is in crisis, would I be any more content if I had those things?

From Don

" …… ‘It is through propaganda, not force, that "the public" is made compliant and happy in their sports, television news and consumerism. We serve vested powers and interests through our daily activities. ……”

I’d have to agree.

I’m stretching this a bit here but in our democracies we tend to think we have free will and within limits, the right to do as we please. I’m not so sure that’s true. Not completely anyways. From birth – I think we have been conditioned to think and act in ways that suit the purpose and goals of the “machine”.

Work harder, spend more, get more…………

This keeping up with the Jones' is a vicious circle.

Archived