The last bloody medical

Kip Powick

Airline Flying Memories

by

DK “Kip” Powick

Authors note..... those of us that have had the privilege of having a medical with Doctor Hopkins can appreciate his sense of humour, professionalism and.... the size of his hands !!

The Last Medical

He and I got along well as he had also spent sometime in the Military. It was my last medical in Toronto. I had all the blood/urine/ECG work done and as they put away the last test-tube I asked if they would FAX me the results as this was my last medical and I would not be coming back in to Toronto. The young lady told me she would Fax the results to me the following Thursday.

Peter’s booming voice summoned me to his office for the physical. We had the normal chat and I mentioned that the young lady was going to Fax my test results to me later in the week.

“What !!!??” yelled Peter.

I repeated what I said.

“No God damned way”, said Peter, “We can’t have the staff Faxing results to everyone who wants them, our staff are too busy….besides that the only reason anyone would call you from here is if we found a medical concern…so forget about getting a Fax …or a call….. unless you have a problem!”

The physical was completed, I said my last good-byes and went home.

Three days later Scuba 02 and I went on our last shopping trip prior to launching for four months on the boat, and upon return to our house there was a message on the answering machine…

“ Kip…this is Peter Hopkins…call me as soon as you can”.

My mind ran the gamut of medical problems I might have…prostrate being at the top….I wondered if sitting on my butt in these “not over 30 degrees of bank” airplanes for almost 15 years had screwed up the internal workings…….how about cholesterol??? Maybe I was anemic…..how long did I have?? Why me?…I was just going to start enjoying life.. 40 years of flying and now this……now it was supposed to be my turn to live it up…crap !!!.

I tried to call Doctor Hopkins but the line was busy…I sat at my computer running to medical websites looking for recognizable symptoms from leprosy to tularemia . I called Peter again…..I got through…….. but he wasn’t at the AC office…he was down town at his other office. I begged, pleaded for the staff member to give me his office number…she finally did.

I called his downtown office…he was out for lunch…back at two o’clock. Back to my computer there must be something I have…am I perspiring a lot ? How come I feel queasy?? I called Peter’s office at 2:00pm. He wasn’t back yet. “Can you put me on hold?”

“OK………...oh, just a moment he just walked in”. –click-

"Hello?"

“Hello, hello Peter is that you?”

“Who is this?”

“It’s Kip Powick”

“Why the hell are you calling me at this office?”

“uh..er..you left a message on my answering machine to call you as soon as possible.”

“What??? Oh yeah…wait a moment,”….rustling of papers…….

“OK,..here it is……..your test results…healthy as a horse.. have a nice retirement....gotta go.” – click-

Bast@rd !!!

Copyright. 2006 CopperTree. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten, or redistributed.

No, really, I am happy to be retired and I really really don't miss my job.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Hey, I am one of those guys that wants to fly to age 65, 75 if I can keep it up, the standards, that is.

My last medical went smoothly.

Other than my blood pressure being high, my blood sugar being low, and my EKG being abnormal, I am as fit as a fiddle.

Hey, not joking, I would rather fly than play golf, or curl, or spend my winters in Florida....

Well, maybe Wallyworld. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hey, I am one of those guys that wants to fly to age 65, 75 if I can keep it up, the standards, that is.

That's great - I am all in favour of people working as long as they can - it ensures the pension funds will be healthier for those of us that want to go as soon as they can. smile.gif

That's great - I am all in favour of people working as long as they can - it ensures the pension funds will be healthier for those of us that want to go as soon as they can. smile.gif

You have the plan all wrong. You retire and then go work (fly) for the other guy.

Archived