Retirement.... sigh...

"What am I doing?", I'm thinking to myself... I was watching a Helicopter zip by... I'd earlier read Kip's post about his time on the T33 and had found myself looking forward to retirement while lamenting the fact that would be at least 9 years away... maybe more if I can't afford to feed the dogs by then.

I'd spent part of the day doing outside, spring-like things... cleaned the yard... took the lawn tractor out of the garage for a run and parked it on the back deck... thought about parking the snowblower in the shed, but remembered my neighbor's lawnmower is in there... and gazed in my garage at the crowded mess...

The snowblower on a tractor, assorted lumber, a bench full of tools and parts and junk, several toolboxes, a few chairs, a couple batteries, a scarecrow [wearing my only suit], boxes of junk, a large picture window that used to be in our livingroom, Christmas lights, extension cords, a large, brown, 1988 Suburban, and a twenty foot Thundercraft boat sitting on it's trailer...

55E21221, she doesn't have a name. She used to have "Fiero 200 written in her stern, but my wife couldn't stand to see the name "Fiero" anymore (we'd owned a car by that name once)... so I removed the Fiero and the 2, but left the 00 to look like eyeballs.

The boat's been sitting in there since I put her away two autumns ago. We didn't like the weather last year, or were otherwise engaged, so she stayed "winterized" all year, saving some cash as well. ...So as I stared at her, I thought of Kip and Scuba 02...

Spending summers on their boat... tripping all over sunny spots and diving in beautiful, warm blue seas in the winter... "Where do I sign up?" I was thinking......

Then this helicopter came by and my thoughts instantly came to work.

"What am I doing?" ...

I looked back at my boat and remembered the rush of blasting across a rippley lake at 50 mph, and the incredible peace to be had in shutting her down and floating in silence in the middle of nowhere... no long years of waiting for that! Life ain't so bad just as it is! biggrin.gif

Life is what you make of it, and as Kip said, "Things change".

Aye, that they do.... That very thought struck me hard one day many years ago, when a coworker was killed by a truck on his way to work.

I think of it too when I hear of folks who don't make it long after retirement... I think the answer is in the words, "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"... so... I believe I'll keep enjoying the here and now, as best I can. smile.gif

Cheers, coffee.gif

Mitch

Mitch,

Retirement might be fine for some. I however, will stick around until they "pry my cold dead hands off the column".

The biggest and only problem with retirement is the fact that you will never, ever get another day off. So stick with it. :-)

Cheers,

DW

Remember that retirement may be the cessation of work but it is not accompanied by the cessation of pleasurable experiences tongue.gif

I try to learn a new thing each day to balance what I forget each day but lately I have been forgetting three things a day ohmy.gif

If I had, what I considered, as all the necessary "toys" when I was 55 I would have quit then...life has never been better, and guess what.....there is always "new" toys to acquire....like this brand new, 17", thin as a plate, high resolution new LCD monitor with more bells and whistles than a 319 !!! tongue.gif

Kip:

I'm shopping for a monitor... which one did you get?

Jeff

P.S. You may want to unplug that new monitor for a while until this thread falls off the board. Wouldn't want Scuba02 to see rattler's comment. unsure.gif The problem with replacing necessary toys like that is you'll probably never be able to afford the other ones again! blink.gif

Jeff,

It is a ViewSonic VP171b and their website is here ...

ViewSonic

and my model can be seen here...

VP171b

I got a good "deal" on it as my daughter's fiance is the IT guy at Brock University and apparently he did a bunch of research and came up with this one as a bulk purchase for the university. I think he bought a few dozen and he included one in the deal for me.

If at all interested, drop a PM and I'll see if he has any "left over".

Archived