Conversations at Air Canada.. in the trenches

As most of you know by now, I'm something of an odd duck... I don't seem to have that switch that tells me when it's a good time to shut up, so I'll happily carry on telling people what my opinions are, in a room full of folks who don't share those opinions... Last night, I found myself engaged in one such discussion with some folks who believe the IAM is doing exactly what it ought to be doing.... and then came an interesting comment:

One of the folks I was talking with suggested that if ANOTHER option being presented was to opt out of the pension entirely, he'd change his opinion... then a few others seemed to agree that was a good indicator that TTI was only out to squeeze us...

Now I'm not one who can see the logic in the stance that non-communication could ever be a bennefit, but I can see some sense in that desire... I was also astounded to hear that among the group I was chatting with at the time, it was apparent that one of the key factors in their hard line stance was the fact that communication of intent TO us was not clear enough.... None would hear me at all when I suggested that the company had indeed tried to engage in "open discussions" -- that in fact, they been shut down in that effort by complaints to the CIRB about "negotiating directly with employees".... (?) Thay all seemed to consider it a matter of trust. One fellow suggested the company should have come to us and said, "Folks we've lied to you before, but we're not now".

I'm losing all the arguments I have with people at work... I keep winding up being the only guy who thinks talk is the way to our salvation.... But I do want to know, if anyone here can possibly offer any hints of an answer... Is it even possible that among the options to choose DC or DB, that "none of the above" might also be an option?

Mitch:

I might be looking at this in a very simplified way but isn't the DC in it's own way your none of the above?

Your taking the companies contribution plus your's and doing what you please.

Like I said a simple way of looking at it but I'm sure there are those that will correct it.

Frosty

Archived