The Pay Equity issue

From the blurb: "...CUPE alleged wage discrimination against the predominately female flight attendants as compared to two predominantly male employee groups - first and second officers (pilots) and mechanics. The effect of this decision is that the Canadian Human Rights Commission can now proceed with its investigation, and determine whether wage discrimination actually exists."

Apparently these silly girls have no idea what "mechanics" are paid. I have no problem at all with adjusting their hourly rate to ours. Better still, adjust ours to equal theirs!

Good grief!

Guest directlaw

My understanding is that CUPE won an appeal of a decision a while back. That decision said the flight attendants did not work in the same "establishment" so their equity fight ended right there. Now they have had that decision reversed. The decision now says that they do work in the same "establishment" so they can now proceed.....that is it. Pam and the media have really blown this out of proportion. Pay equity has a long way to go through the courts yet.

Another example of political correctness gone wrong, if you applied for a job as a FA then you knew what the pay rate was, if you want to be paid as a mechanic or pilot etc then work in that profession. Simple

>>these silly girls <<<

Mitch, Mitch, Mitch

You just may be hearing from cpfa on this one. Boy am I glad I'm not in your shoes. :)

"Silly" is a strong enough word that some people would gladly cast Mitch into the Pit of Fire for uttering it. Naturally, AEF is a different story.

Here, one reads forthright and balanced views and responses of equal wisdom. Your own post is a fine example, an astute observation honed to a rapier-like edge.

I expect you'll be cast into the Pit along with Mitch.

Intimidated!? Such humiliation! When it's safe to come out of the bombshelter, the three of us are going to give you a piece of our minds. If that's OK with you, I mean. If it's not, that's OK too. We could just pretend that you heard it.

Guest victor

IMHO AMEs should be paid proportionate to their responsibility, which means that they would be better paid than Captains.

When an AME signs his name, he is taking on the personal responsibility for certifying that the aircraft is safe for flight. If he is signing off on work that was done in a C-Check, then he is certifying that the aircraft is safe to fly for say 4,000 hours and maybe 4,000 flights. How many passengers are risking their lives depending on his work? A quarter of a million? Half a million?

On the other hand, a Captain is only responsible for the safety of his aircraft for one flight.

AMEs are under-rated. We should have the highest expectations of their integrity, professionalism and good judgement, and they should be paid accordingly.

Guest givemeabreak

Victor,

Sure I could go with that, if, IF... you are checked every 6 months and have the jeopardy of losing your career if not satisfactory.

Also, if something goes wrong (and maintenance to blame) the Captain/First Officer have can seriously "go after you" for it as they had to deal with the danger in the air. Your mistake on the ground and no one gets hurt. It has consequences in the air.

Go down this road.... what do car wrenchers make to an maintenance engineer, and what do they get to write off during taxes that and engineer does not, etc? Now that comparison is ludicrous!!

Didn't feel like going all the way to TO for a 4x4 shift, left it to the guys on layoff. The 7x7 is way better for travelling and I don't feel any worse doing it as opposed to the old 4x4 plus the 7 off is hard to beat. If I ever get called back to YVR it is going to be weird doing 4 days on instead of the 7

Guest amejazz

Rumor is 10 guys very shortly (RJ courses coming to YVR), and the rest by years end, when they expect us to be flying 15 of the s**tboxes! CAT 1 Rumour from the mouth of a lingcod!!!

Archived