Snow tires

Mitch Cronin

A thread below has brought to mind a piece of knowledge I've gained, that I'd be an ass if I didn't pass it on to all of you...

For years I've struggled through the pains of winter driving, just like every other Canadian driver, only now I know how to fix that.

Last year, for the first time in my life, I found that winter driving can be as much fun as the summer, empty road, cool breeze in the open window, winding, dry road in the country type driving.... all you need is the right tires.

I'd taken my car in to a dealer with a vibration complaint... knowing I had at least one bad tire, but suspecting something else was wrong as well... we got to talking.... eventually, after discovering it was only the tires that were the root of the complaint, and already wanting to get a set of good winter tires on steel rims, I asked for some good ones, knowing I'd get some good summer tires after the snow was done.

I heard the man on the phone telling the tire guy "No, this guy drives warp speeds, we need some good ones." ... That's how I inadvertantly discovered Hakapalita tires, made by Nokian.

Those things made winter driving fun. Go where you want to go. When conditions are "center bare", you can blaze the trail in the left lane with confidence....

It's like driving in sand! Every slip is comletely predictable, every grab is intentional, every slide, controlable. These tires are awesome!

I don't know what they cost now, but they're worth every cent. If you have any doubts, or reservations about driving in snow, get yourself a set of these things, and enjoy!

Nokian Hakapalita. I swear, you won't regret it!

Hmmmm.. Ok, ya dog, make me go out in the cold to look....

Brrrrr... right you are, two k's, two t's.. "Hakkapalitta". It's a Finish company, I'm told... They only make snows. They're directional, and they're absolutely the best tires I've ever had for snow stuff...

You got 'em too?

Mitch,

I live in the great white north and put good snow tires on every year.

About 2 years ago my wife (an Air Canada F/A) was working a flight when a female passenger asked if she could spend some time in the galley as her seat-mate had a case of B.O. The flight was full so their were no other seats available. My wife and this passenger struck up a conversation and it turns out this lady was a VP with a tire company. She was very impressed with the service she received from Air Canada so she gave the whole crew coupons worth 70% discount on a set of tires. We needed new snow tires for our SUV so we used the coupon to by a set of Blizzaks. They are great tires but expensive ($200 each). The coupon saved us $560. Sometimes it pays to be nice.

This is the 1st year since I started driving that I haven't had winter tires on my car. I'm telling you, the difference is amazing, I thought my all seasons would be enough but saving money for Winters has quickly risen to the top of my priority list. I've only ever bought the cheapest ones @ CDN tire, and they still make a world of difference.

Cheers,

Shawn

Guest rphydro

I have never had snow tires, was hesitant, wondering how much real difference it'd make on my AWD vehicle. But, if even cheap CDN Tire ones make a world of difference ... what have I been waiting for? Thanks for the info guys.

rp

I was looking for a set of snowy's for my Mustang 3 years ago. I initially looked at Blizzaks. I wandered by Fountain Tire and asked about what they offered from Goodyear.

The salesman told me that the Blizzaks were good tires, however the tread compound is very soft. Hence the great ice traction. With the soft compound one would experience greater wear and after two winter's the tread would be reduced to an "all season" condition.

As they say, "your mileage may vary". ;)

I bought a set of GoodYear UltraGrip Ice for my rear driver, and I've been pleased with the performance in deep snow and on icy roads.

I too have Blizzaks on my rear wheel drive pick-up truck. Having those tires has made driving the truck in winter a pleasure. This was the first time I had ever used winter tires on any vehicle ( I used all-seasons previously) and now the truck is the best handling vehicle I've ever had in the snow. It's been 3 years and counting. Well worth the investment.

The original Blizzaks were very soft and consequently didn't last more than a couple of winters. The newer ones are just as good on snow and ice, but last much longer. Of course any winter tire will lose some effectiveness after a few winters (depending on use, etc.), but the new Blizzaks aren't any less durable than other winter tires.

Archived