News Just About Everybody Can Use

Guest Operation Bomberclad

Guest Operation Bomberclad

ORIGIN OF SKYHIGH

Airline fires back at low-cost rivals International Traveler / Update

Source: International Herald Tribune

Publication date: 2003-10-20

A full-service airline with a reputation for cheeky creativity is taking satiric aim at no-frills competitors with a campaign about a make-believe rival whose spartan, inconvenient flights and what-me- worry attitude are meant to put the low in lower-fare. The campaign, for the Alaska Airlines division of the Alaska Air Group, has as its centerpiece a Web site for an imaginary discount carrier, SkyHigh Airlines, offering cybervisitors an elaborate series of jokes and pranks that make the fake site, www.skyhighairlines.com, more engaging than many real ones. The site carries mock marketing slogans like Flying is expensive. Let us cheapen the experience and Lowering fares. Lowering the bar ; pitches for Super Scrimper bargain fares, which turn out to be on the SkyHigh Flightless Eagle bus line; and a letter from the unctuous chief executive of SkyHigh, Howard Barium, that begins, What is it with you people? There is also a fiendishly realistic flight-booking engine that continuously routes users through multiple small cities and charges fares in the thousands of dollars for SkyHigh's two classes of service: bench and cargo.

http://cnniw.newsreal.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=42803681&ID=cnniw&scategory=Aviation&

SOMETIMES THEY CALL IT A COCKPIT FOR A REASON

Jury rules against pilot who claimed harassment

Source: Salt Lake Tribune, The

Publication date: 2003-10-19

A federal jury on Friday night rejected claims made in a lawsuit by a former SkyWest pilot that she was unfairly disciplined by the airline and harassed by another pilot who exposed himself to her.

After deliberating for nearly six hours, the jurors determined the airline did not create a hostile work environment or retaliate against Paula Manjarrez. They also decided that no sexual harassment had occurred and denied her request for back pay and punitive damages.

http://cnniw.newsreal.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=42782126&ID=cnniw&scategory=Aviation&

INTERNATIONAL XENOPHOBIA AGAINST CANADA RESTRICTS AIRSPACE

Canada and Aeroflot Fight Over Airspace

By Lyuba Pronina

Staff Writer

A scandal is brewing that might thwart Aeroflot flights to North America and has already gotten the attention of President Vladimir Putin.

As of Monday, Canada was planning to deny Aeroflot the right to use its airspace for flights to the United States in a tit-for-tat move after Russia refused to let Air Canada use Russian airspace for flights to India.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2003/10/21/044.html

PETROLEUM CRONIES AN ASSET

Husky’s new corporate jets?

Gary Park

Petroleum News Calgary correspondent

With their Husky Energy taking flight, Hong Kong’s Li family have their sights set on even greater heights as the scion of billionaire Li Ka-shing bids for control of Air Canada. Victor Li, who is being groomed to take the helm of his father’s global business empire and is himself known as “Superman” in Asian circles, is one of two bidders trying to acquire C$700 million of new equity in Air Canada to help Canada’s troubled flagship carrier emerge from bankruptcy protection.

Li, 39, became co-chairman of Husky three years ago when the integrated oil company went public after being privately held by firms controlled by the Li family.

But the family still kept a 71.5 percent interest — 36.5 percent through its own holding company in Luxembourg and 35 percent through Hutchison Whampoa.

Li has been viewed as one of the most influential decision-makers at Husky, which has turned cumulative losses of C$932 million in the 1991-1995 period to a bulging C$804 million profit in 2002.

That performance helped turn Husky from target to predator in August when it purchased the Western Canadian holdings of Marathon Oil for US$588 million and offloaded about 25 percent to EOG Resources for US$320 million.

In July, Husky announced a special dividend of C$1 a share, which netted the Li family C$152.5 million and Hutchison Whampoa C$146.5 million.

That came just weeks after Li Ka-shing transferred his family’s 36.5 percent interest to the tax haven of Luxembourg.

Tax lawyers and analysts suggest that some or all of the Husky dividend could be channeled into the Air Canada deal. Whatever the outcome, Victor Li is not unaccustomed to the turbulent downside of huge personal wealth. He was kidnapped by Chinese gangsters in 1996 and released after a US$125 million ransom was paid.

(Note: PDF format at bottom of page includes entire issue of petroleum news. This is a shrewd move that will likely set off a very bitter market psychology campaign for the domestic market as major rivals now both have petroleum insiders. The newspapers have not reported on this angle sufficiently and have totally missed Wetjests' cronies and the advantages it brought them.)

http://www.petroleumnews.com/pnarch/031019-16.html

KLYDE'S EXAGGERATIONS ABOUT AIR CANADA APPARENT

Air Canada holding on, Milton says

We've kept our customers: airline CEO. Passenger numbers increase, but WestJet says it has been growing at rival's expense

NICOLAS VAN PRAET

The Gazette

Friday, October 10, 2003

ADVERTISEMENT

Air Canada chief executive Robert Milton says the Montreal airline has held on to its customers since entering bankruptcy protection last April.

The statement provoked incredulity among the airline's main domestic rivals, who said they have stolen a chunk of Air Canada's passengers. But one analysis by a leading equity analyst shows Milton is right.

"When we first entered CCAA (bankruptcy protection) in April, we knew that retaining our customers was going to be critical," Milton wrote in a letter to employees made public Wednesday.

"...Air Canada and its regional airline, Jazz, have not lost much market share over the past five months, said Ben Cherniavsky, an analyst with Raymond James in Vancouver. Numbers he provided show the traffic of both carriers has held steady, averaging 68.4 per cent of all passengers carried in Canada from April to August.

But Clive Beddoe, chief executive of rival WestJet Airlines, Canada's second-largest airline, wondered how Air Canada could have kept its customers if WestJet is expanding aggressively.

"We've grown," Beddoe said in an interview. "Where have their customers come from then?"

..."

(Note: Somebody is misrepresenting their profit, and load in order to boost their share price, perhaps?)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C59B21746

THE DARK SIDE OF LOW COST

Don't be swayed by business bullies

Wes Myers

Dania beach

Posted October 19 2003

So, Mr. David Neeleman, CEO of Jet Blue, has issued Broward County a "warning," an ultimatum. If we don't extend the south runway, he won't expand operations at the Fort Lauderdale airport.

Well, let me get my hard hat and start wrecking the wetlands.

Who does he think he is and why are some county commissioners playing politics to appease him?

Mr. Neeleman's only concern is money, making money for Jet Blue and himself. What's he doing for the residents (taxpayers) of Broward County? He should be thanking Broward and Fort Lauderdale for being a golden destination rather than threatening a cutback or pullout.

Raise your hand if you think we just don't have enough people here right now. Mr. Desjarlais, don't be swayed by big business bullies. Think about the residents and their quality of life. JetBlue is doing well at the moment, but airlines come and go. Our wetlands, environment and quality of life may be lost forever if we're not very careful. There has to be an acceptable, reasonable and fair compromise. It's worth the time to find it!

Mr. Neeleman should be proud of his accomplishments with JetBlue, but remember that others, some giants, have come and gone before him. Anybody ever fly on Eastern, Pan Am, the original National, Braniff, Republic, Air Florida, etc.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/letters/search/sfl-brmail729xoct19,0,3746250.story

:[

OB

The Russians seem to be arguing that Aeroflot loses Canada-India business to an AC nonstop. I can't imagine there is much of a market to begin with via Moscow.

My cargo contacts have told me about the Russians and their tinkering with overflight rights. It really has nothing to do with loss of business and everything to do with trying to grind out an extra fee over and above the usual ATC overfly fee.

Basically, it's a bit of extortion. The Americans always deal with it like Canada is doing now. Wave the big stick.

I should have gone downstairs and given this the great circle elastic band on the globe test before posting.

It looks like the route would actually go up over Greenland, clip the northern tip of Finland and pass about one thousand miles north-east of Moscow.

I am sure by the time the flight planning software works out the winds and fits it all into the available routes in that part of the world (politics aside), you could be going in somewhat different directions.

Cheers.

Thanks.

I hope the big stick works. I never thought we would have generated a lot of cargo for Aeroflot to take to other destinations and I am sure you are correct about the extra fees. It is almost as if they are using the same tactics as the GTAA.

Also thanks to Innuendo. A much nicer line than my elastic band on the globe.

I don't know whether to congratulate you on finding this information or suggest to you that you should check yourself into some type of clinic :)

One day we may all see the big picture.

Your sources would have proven invaluable on the Mulroney/AC Airbus scandal? Is that over now?

"I am sure by the time the flight planning software works out the winds and fits it all into the available routes in that part of the world (politics aside), you could be going in somewhat different directions."

For sure, but the great circle mapper can produce some surprises. It is also pretty neat to see what some of the distances really are. The site seems to work well over the Northern hemisphere, over the south it seems to distort a bit. Looks like you would cross over the YVR-LHR flight over the west coast of Greenland.

According to Great Circle Mapper: YYZ - DEL:

6409 nm via Moscow (plus Moscow intransit time of course) - vs. - 6297 nm direct

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=yyz-vko-del%0D%0A&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=red&PATH-UNITS=nm&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=navy&MAP-STYLE=

Cheers, IFG

Archived