Aircraft Maintenance

conehead

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting all those responses from my offhand comment regarding the "roadtrip". My attitude certainly IS common amongst my colleagues. I work for money. You guys do too. If crew sked called you at home and asked you to take out a flight on your days off, would you do it knowing that you won't be paid for it? I think not.

We used to fight amongst ourselves for these trips, because we could make a few extra bucks doing it. Now we can't, so we don't. Logical, no?

And for Dagger's benefit, here's a little tidbit; Air Canada has always had the option of hiring a contractor to repair an airplane stuck outside of Canada, as the collective agreement with the I.A.M. only covers work performed IN CANADA. The reason they have always used Air Canada employees is that they want to ensure the work is done RIGHT.

Conehead

For what it's worth, I agree with you.... Most of the people that I know in Maint have gone above and beyond more times than they can count, and when they did they were paid accordingly, the difference now is that it is expected (or should I say demanded) that they do it for nothing.

Don't take the comments from the pilots too seriously, because they'll get just about anybody to fix their aircraft so they can get home, but if you tried to call in a contract crew to fly it because their duty day was up... :(

Brett

ps I'm no longer an Airline Employee, so I don't really have an opinion :D

Thanks Brett; you know what opinions are like... everybody's got one... and yours stinks more than mine!

And you are so an Airline Employee, you are now employed by a REAL airline, one that treats its employees with a little respect!

CONEHEAD YOU ARE: Give me a break! "Make sure the job is done right???" I wonder how all those other airlines in Eurpoe and the U.S. meet with their respective FAA/CAA/TC certification standards. You are definately one of the ones that "Got Past Human Resources"!!

I am never going to read another post you put in here! I am too polite to post what I really think here.

You ever work on some of the aircraft that get routine maintenance in the United States? Let me tell you, there standards are a little different than ours!

And that's the nice thing about a bulletin board.... if you don't like someone's posting, just ignore it!

Hi wrench

After seeing what I saw this summer, I know of at least 1 MRO that I wouldn't take my wheelbarrel to :( in fact I've better maintenance standards from a small regional carrier in north Africa :D

Farnwinkle

Hi: Worst I ever saw was Dan Air and I am sure there are others out there if you want to look closely. I remember some pretty scary things at gate 17, 18 and 19 in YVR. Give me a shout on the toll free. I'm on tomorrow.

Archived