Lordon's replacement

Guest CarryOn

Guest CarryOn

September 30, 2003

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

03-68

Minister Bradshaw announces appointments to the Canada Industrial Relations Board

OTTAWA- The Honourable Claudette Bradshaw, Minister of Labour, today announced the appointment of Mr. Warren Edmondson as Chair of the Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB) for a term of four years. The appointment is effective January 1, 2004.

Mr. Edmondson has served as Assistant Deputy Minister of Labour and Head of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service with the Labour Program of Human Resources Development Canada since July 1998. From 1990 to 1998, he was Director General of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. In this position, he led a team of mediators responsible for administering the dispute settlement provisions of Part I (Industrial Relations) of the Canada Labour Code.

A graduate of Loyola College (Concordia) in Montreal, Mr. Edmondson began his public service career in 1981. In October 2001, he was presented with the Outstanding Achievement Award of the Public Service of Canada for sustained outstanding achievement in modernizing the conduct of labour-management relations in Canada.

In announcing this appointment, Minister Bradshaw acknowledged the efforts of Mr. Paul Lordon during his almost six years of service. Mr. Lordon served as the first Chairperson of the CIRB and was the last Chairperson of its predecessor, the Canada Labour Relations Board.

Minister Bradshaw also announced the appointment of Ms. Louise Fecteau of Montreal to the position of Vice-Chair for a term of four years. A lawyer specializing in labour and commercial law, Ms. Fecteau previously served as a full-time member of the CIRB.

The Canada Industrial Relations Board, which came into effect on January 1, 1999, is an independent, representational, quasi-judicial tribunal whose mandate is to interpret and apply the provisions under Part I of the Canada Labour Code dealing with bargaining rights and unfair labour practices. For more information on the Board, visit their web site at http://www.cirb-ccri.gc.ca.

-

Guest buskipper

I have also met Mr. Edmondson several times and was very unimpressed with him. A career civil servant with a hate-on for large red and white airplanes and the pilots inside them.

Guest buskipper

HP,

You could be right so deleted it is.

He certainly has been around awhile so hopefully he will be the right guy for the job.

There are always some heavy-weight contenders in this category, but your response just might take the Least Classy Post Award for this week.

Congratulations.

neo

Guest buskipper

HP,

Actually, I try to keep my personal opinions off the forum.

BTW, Comments like yours, which are likely libelous if not simply rude are reasons why I so rarely visit this forum.

Bye...

Buskipper,

I completely understand your sentiment regarding that style of post from HPT-TOUR...

I think it's only fair to point out that his posts are certainly not representative of the majority... And in fact, I've found that kind of thing pops up in all forums.

We've talked here about this on many occasions, and it seems the only thing that would prevent such behaviour would be to insist on posters using their real names... Unfortunately that also seems to be a very unpopular line of thought.

The best way to deal with it seems to be to ignore the trash... Remove the bad beans from the grind and you end up with some decent coffee.

Cheers,

Mitch

Others may disagree with me, Franxis, but I couldn't nominate you for the award. True,

there may be times when you go overboard in your response, especially when you're feeling defensive. But by and large you're a real contributer to the forum. You bring lots of outside news, you offer your considered opinion, and I don't ever recall seeing you attack someone who simply replied politely to you.

So, it's possible that there is some lingering vestige, some hint around the edges, of class in your online personality. Consequently, you will not likely ever get the award.

Not to say that you haven't tried, at times, though. ;)

neo

Guest buskipper

HP,

You are looking too deep. I have tried to contribute to the forum rather than create arguments, bridge differences rather than deepen them, while being void of personal biases and prejudices.

I crossed my own line by offering my opinion on Warren's appointment. I am sorry for that.

I have been reflecting on why my posts elicit such diatribe and anger. My conclusion is that it must be some reaction to my handle, ie buskipper.

Perhaps its envy, I can understand that, perhaps its just ignorance, but whatever it is I have decided to defuse the situation by removing my offensive "nom de plume" with one less likely to attract such a elitist persona.

I hope that in the future my input will be more fully appreciated.

No need to apologise. You are entitled to your opinion. The word on the labour relations street, however is that Bradshaw’s nominee is perhaps the most respected, experienced and therefore capable person to occupy the big chair,,,,in this board or its predecessor.

Further scuttle-but is that this appointment has been met with the same ‘discomfort’ you exhibited, by certain senior ACPA executive (perhaps you and they are one in the same?)

If that is the case perhaps your opinion ( and the above mentioned ACPA personalities) says more about you than it does W.E.

It all comes around eventually.

No need to apologise. You are entitled to your opinion. The word on the labour relations street, however is that Bradshaw’s nominee is perhaps the most respected, experienced and therefore capable person to occupy the big chair,,,,in this board or its predecessor.

Further scuttle-but is that this appointment has been met with the same ‘discomfort’ you exhibited, by certain senior ACPA executive (perhaps you and they are one in the same?)

If that is the case perhaps your opinion ( and the above mentioned ACPA personalities) says more about you than it does about W.E.

And perhaps your a raving freaking lunatic, Senor Majesty. Try as I might I couldn't care what your book might hold as popular.

I'll give you the benefit and assume you didn't see the flame your boy applied to the new Chair' arse. My comments stand,and you need to edumicate yurself young fella.

...common theme. :D

At least you found a pleasant and polite way to tell me. Thanks for that.

And in like fashion... and I too haven't the slightest idea where to find a whit of concern for your whits of concern, dear fellow... at the moment anyway.

So I'll tell ya, just the same, when it occurs t'me t'do so, when it is I get the notion you've 'ad the misfortune of floatin' when ya should've sunk. Because it 'as been duly noted, that just like a bit'o'wood, witches float! E's a witch!

;)

No need to apologise. You are entitled to your opinion. The word on the labour relations street, however is that Bradshaw’s nominee is the most respected, experienced and therefore capable person to occupy the big chair,,,,in this board or its predecessor.

If that is the case your opinion ( and the above mentioned ACPA personalities) says more about you than it does about W.E.

Archived