Al-Jazeera Airs New bin Laden Video

Guest JakeYYZ

Make Iraq Graveyard for U.S., Qaeda Leader Says

Wed September 10, 2003 06:00 PM ET

By Firouz Sedarat

DUBAI (Reuters) - Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden made a surprise appearance in a videotape aired on Wednesday to mark the September 11 attacks, along with his top aide who urged fighters to turn Iraq into a graveyard for American troops.

"To our struggling brothers in Iraq: we greet you and we pray to God to be on your side in fighting the crusaders," Ayman al-Zawahri, or someone sounding very much like him, said on the tape aired by Al Jazeera Arabic television.

"God is with you and the entire nation supports you. Rely on God and devour the Americans just as lions do with their prey, and bury them in the graveyard of Iraq."

The tape had an audio message said to be from Saudi-born bin Laden in which he praised the 19 suicide hijackers who flew planes into New York's World Trade Center and the Pentagon in Washington two years ago on Thursday.

Link: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=02WC0PWRPWD5ICRBAELCFEY?type=topNews&storyID=3423460

Speaking of the bin Laden tapes, by the way, the one I want to see goes something like this:

Osama speaking to assembled followers: "We're the number 1 terrorist organization in the world ... (loud applause) ... We've masterminded every significant act of terrorism around the world for years now ... (more loud applause) ... We receive countless millions of dollars in funding ... (applause) ... Can't we get a decent video camera around here? ... (silence) ... Look at these tapes! Have you seen these? I'm grainy, I'm out of focus, the sound quality is horrible. In this one I'm thin, in this one I'm heavy. And where are my close-ups? Can someone get my agent on the phone?"

Archived