Where Did It Go?

That annoying virus which so many of us have reveived lately, in the form of emails with titles such as Details, Wicked screensaver, Application Approved, Thank You, etc....seems to have dissappeared from my emails. I was getting about 150 per day, but none over the past day. Anyone else?

Pierre

Guest Jammed Balls

Hi Pierre,

I didn't get the same virused spam you did, however I'm currently getting almost 65% spam to one of my very old email addresses (9 yrs). Since April I have been running a free spam filtering application, and it is currently running at a 97% accuracy level. If you're interested have a look at the SourceForge site (quite an amazing group of open source developers)... particularilly PopFile. I highly recommend it.

http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=171767

note the URL is too long to fit in the 'optional link' box

JB

Guest Jammed Balls

Pierre,

I haven't had issues with the same virused email as you, however I'm still getting almost 60% spam to one of my old email addresses (9yrs old).

Since April I have been running a free (open source) email filter. It works flawlessly, and is currently at a 97% accuracy level. If you are interested have a look at PopFile:

http://popfile.sourceforge.net/old_index.html

This group (sourceforge) is quite an amazing story... Go to the main site, sourceforge.net, and have a look at all the progects they have in the works... An amazing group of unpaid talent at work there!

Cheers,

JB

Guest Jammed Balls

Pierre,

I haven't had issues with the same virused email as you, however I'm still getting almost 60% spam to one of my old email addresses (9yrs old).

Since April I have been running a free (open source) email filter. It works flawlessly, and is currently at a 97% accuracy level. If you are interested have a look at PopFile:

This group (sourceforge) is quite an amazing story... Go to the main site, sourceforge.net, and have a look at all the projects they have in the works... An amazing group of unpaid talent at work there!

Cheers,

JB

Guest Jammed Balls

Pierre,

This group (sourceforge) is quite an amazing story... Go to the main site, sourceforge.net, and have a look at all the projects they have in the works... An amazing group of unpaid talent at work there! PopFile was their 'project of the month' for May 2003... here is the story of the development of this application...

http://sourceforge.net/potm/potm-2003-05.php

Cheers,

JB

Damn, that's too bad. I had so many over while away on a two day trip (180+), that my mailbox was was rejecting all mail. It stopped yesterday afternoon, and it's so nice just to get friendly mail again. FYI, I'm with Sympatico High Speed, Windows ME and using Outlook Express.

I read somewhere that this virus expires Sept. 10. Let's hope! Regards.

Pierre

Guest flyersclub

I just block the sender's of the virus and then if they arrive again they go straight to my deleted message folder. Just highlight the offending email and go to 'message' then 'block sender' ... at least those damn security@mircrosft.com aren't coming into my inbox anymore. With my email list over 600 people (I do a newsletter) I get at least a dozen emails with virus' daily and manage them this way, fyi.

Guest floatrr

I was getting probably the same 30 to 40 a day as well, then my ISP started their own antivirus and I'm not getting any now. Slick.

Guest MikePapaKIlo

Applied the Block Sender this evening. Wasn't getting a lot, but the big Virus Warning page is rather intimidating. Norton seems to work very well, as my machine is still clean. Thanks to FlyersClub for the tip. I did not know about that.

FlyersClub.... - EPA @ YQX ?? Spent many an evening there myself in my formative days !

Cheers !

MPK

Guest PortTack

Is there anyone getting returned mail from unusal addresses they don't know? Norton says I'm clean, plus I ran the untility called "stinger" that the ISP sent me. However I suspect if I have a few unknown addresses returned that I didn't send myself.....my computer may have sent it right? Any ideas? Just received another 6 this morning.

I've applied Block Sender, but I'm not sure that with the amount of new senders out there in cyberspace, this is going to have a noticeable effect.

I found 'Message Rules' (from TOOLS) in my Outlook Express which has provision for entering key words contained in either heading, letter body or both. It gives options including auto-deletion. I'm still getting some......

Pierre

Guest PortTack

:'( what now????

The protection is completely up to date...yet it finds nothing?? I've run the removal tool...and it comes up clean. Maybe this is all my fault!!

Guest PortTack

:'( what now????

The protection is completely up to date...yet it finds nothing?? I've run the removal tool...and it comes up clean. Maybe this is all my fault!!

Guest flyersclub

hey you're right, started with epa myself in '75, then was based in yqx in the 70's and 80's ... in my many years on this forum you are the first to identify the flyersclub ... wonder if it's still there. are you down east?? i am in yyc but hope to get back to yhz in 2005 or so when i ship my last kid off to university. are you still flying??

Guest flyersclub

bizarre but this is happening to me too ... i am getting a note that my message to a strange email address is undeliverable ... when i searched my long email list i can't find that email address. i know my laptop is clean ... i have new norton and run other diagnostics almost daily ... another cyber puzzle!! if anyone figures this out, pse post the solution to eliminating these!

Archived