FLIGHT PLANS

Guest bug smasher

Guest bug smasher

Do the main line guys have to run around at sked time and try and find a flight plan when they land in bases operated by the main line?

IE:yvr yyc (yeg hats off to you folks)ywg

yqt yow yyz yqb yfc yqm yhz ...

Don't get upset now... its just a question!

Can't get too upset about a question I don't understand.

If you mean do we have a way to get a flight plan at these stations, the answer is yes.

Hopefully its not right at sked time.

Most stations will run one up to you if you're running late (can't go without it after all!)

Cheers Chico

The easiest way is for you to send the flight plan to your gate from the on board acars so it's waiting for you on arrival. The trick is to know the address of the printer. The only downside is a sales agent throwing it out on you before you get there.

We do, though it's not a big deal.

A FP room is usually a 5 minute walk [VR YC OW come to mind], stretch your legs, talk to the pretty girls, stop for a chat with a youngster, offer assistance to a traveller on the way..

An open gate with a printer is always close and worse case, I can just sit in my seat and retrieve a flight plan via ACARS.

In my opinion it is a big deal. First you must find a computer terminal that is not in use and has a "TTY" printer that is serviceable(not an easy find some days and walking to the flight planning room is not an efficient or possible option at many stations). Next you go through a series of clumsy/convoluted dos-era entries and wait for a very slow printout. My average time is 10 minutes but it often is 20 minutes from first leaving the aircraft to returning. The ACARS printout is very small and awkward to use; I do not consider it a safe method.

I would much rather have the flight plan delivered to the aircraft. On a short turnaround there are other items that I value greater than simple clerical duties in ensuring an on time and safe flight. I have had to delay many flights 5-10 minutes for this reason in short turnaround situations.

Many times I have requested a flight plan be sent to the gate but never once in the last 3 years has it been delivered. I have tried the "send request" from the aircraft method but when I arrive at the printer the paper has wrapped itself back into the printer and jammed it. The result is I don't have a flight plan and the Agents are rightfully angry at the printer damage.

In my opinion it is a big deal. First you must find a computer terminal that is not in use and has a "TTY" printer that is serviceable(not an easy find some days and walking to the flight planning room is not an efficient or possible option at many stations). Next you go through a series of clumsy/convoluted dos-era entries and wait for a very slow printout. My average time is 10 minutes but it often is 20 minutes from first leaving the aircraft to returning. The ACARS printout is very small and awkward to use; I do not consider it a safe method.

I would much rather have the flight plan delivered to the aircraft. On a short turnaround there are other items that I value greater than simple clerical duties in ensuring an on time and safe flight. I have had to delay many flights 5-10 minutes for this reason in short turnaround situations.

Archived