Good Luck Neo!

Mitch Cronin

... I've just been reading some more about the fires out there...

Rain, rain, come back again, don't go away 'til the embers wane!

...seriously, I wish you and your neighbors all the best of luck.

Keep us posted if you can?

Mitch

Muchas gracias, amigo.

It's a very tense situation here. Everything depends on the weather. If the wind picks up and blows a certain way, it's very bad indeed. No rain is forecast. We're on short term evacuation alert in our area. Today is very smoky. We can't see the hills around us.

The slightest spark starts uncontrollable fires. The latest one started from an osprey nest on a power pole catching fire. We saw it within minutes of the fire's start. Crews arrived immediately, the fire bombers were there within half and hour of it starting, and yet it grew to a completely uncontainable 250 hectares within a couple of hours. That fire is raging out of control to the south of us, but fortunately burning up into the mountains away from habitation.

To the north, close to where we live, numerous spot fires burn along the Naramata/Okanagan Mountain Park boundary area. The wind is from that direction but relatively light so far. If it stays that way, we should last another smokey day, with our fingers crossed.

neo

Guest lowtime

Neo,

Just wondering if you know if the fire is

close to Gallagher's Canyon area, my parents

left there home on Friday and I just got back and can't find any info on exactly where the ylw fires are the worst . Good luck to your family and all in ylw

lowtime,

The last I heard, the Gallagher's Canyon area was evacuated, and that the area was in the path of the advancing fires. That info would be almost 24 hours old by now, though, and the situation has gone from drastic to something less.

T.V. footage of homes in those areas where the fire swept through on Friday night showed some truly bizarre scenes. Homes were reduced to a few ashes on a foundation, but the lawn outside would be green and lush. You'd have seven or eight houses in a cul-de-sac utterly destroyed, and yet a house right in the middle of them completely untouched. Until crews are able to make a door-to-door assessment of an area, there's no way to know which homes were spared.

Hope all is well for your folks.

neo

Guest King or Queen

Glad to hear you and your home are safe R R.

Here is a very good web site to check.It is www.castanet.net .This site has up to date info on the area.

I hope the rain heads your way soon. It looks like we may get some here in S.Surrey tonight.

JDL

Here's a link that has a lot of detailed info on the evac areas.....cloudy all day in the lower mainland, let's hope for rain in the interior...without the thunderstorms.

Archived