Journalistic Integrity???

deicer

Latest drivel from the Toronto Star has the slant that AC can no longer operate safely.

When the crew of 140 on Monday executed a go-around because of another aircraft on the runway, the Star has it written that it is AC's problem.

Way to go Star. This is from the paper that critisised the police for catching criminals.

I won't post the link because I don't feel they need the traffic.

Everyone else have a nice day!

Iceman

It's rampant. Over here in the UK (someone mentioned it below) a pilot for one of the larger charter carriers got stuck in a place in the Med. He did what he thought was right, and actually got the aircraft home safely amidst strong criticism from a few "knowing" passengers.

The press have crucified him.

Airlines are like movie producers and on screen personalities - the press loves to rake the muck with us. Unfortunately for the few media types who do have a lot of integrity, and they do exist, there voices get lost in the madding crowd, me thinks.

Guest M. McRae

There's an old joke within commercial aviation circles regarding airline analysts and journalists: "If the so-called 'experts' were really experts, they would be running airline companies instead of writing about them."

Guest The Gapper

Did they mention that right before them a Jazz RJ went around too? ATC was landing and departing off of 06L only during rush hour cause there was a friggin thunderstorm at the north end!!! AC must have caused that weather too. I didn't notice any mention of the long customs lines on Monday in YYZ (up to 2 hrs) but that was AC's fault too. Improvements need to be made at AC but it would be nice if some of these reporters had a larger enough brain to actually know what AC can and can't control. I guess from said reporter's view it would be better to risk a collision rather than go around, I had a boss who suspended me once cause I went around ("Good pilot's don't need to go-around), He's dead now, I'm not!

The so called journalists can not get the simplest of facts correct, remeber earlier this year when the GTAA ran out of deice fluid, the media journalist placed the blame on Air Canada.

As I have stated before,a journalists only function is to fill the spots between advertisements

Guest wetcoaster

I remember reading another post about this somewhere which said – remember that when you are reading a newspaper story that it is, just that, someone’s story.

A better way to look newspaper stories is from the perspective – who wrote it and why did they write it? Often times you’ll figure out more truth between the lines than in them when you stop to think of it that way. Remember – not only do journalists have an opinion – so do their editors and that’s what you will be reading..

I guess in our industry we get frustrated when asked by people outside the industry to explain a story someone has read somewhere. I doubt this situation will ever change so we might just as well get used to it.

Archived