YYZ SID Question ?

Speaking of departures,

Does anyone know what criteria YYZ ATC uses to assign SID's ?

For example the other night I heard two Trans Atlantic flights call up clearance delivery just a few minutes apart. Both were assigned runway 23 but one was given the LESTER 7 and the other was given the PEARSON 9.

Both SID's are essentially the same off runway 23.

LESTER 7 = Climb heading 237, at 1.9DME from YTP turn right heading 245, maintain 5000.

PEARSON 9 = Climb straight ahead until passing YTP, then intercept the YTP 240 radial outbound, at 3.9DME fly heading 245, maintain 5000.

So why the difference ???

MC

I'm not a controller, so this may be less than accurate. It was explained to me that they use the Pearson 9 when the winds are such that flying runway heading would result in the aircraft drifting over a noise sensitive area. So, it may be that between the two flights getting their clearance, another departure drifted over the sensitive area while flying the Lester SID.

Guest Say Again

More than likely, they were downgrading the operation. Going from a dual (simultaneous independants approaches and departures) to a "Land one, depart one" operation: usually land 24R(&L) and depart 23.

The Lester SID is the one used for dual ops since it provides a 10 degree heading divergence off the two parallels. The PEARSON (05/23) and TORONTO SIDs are VOR based SIDs off the runway associated VORs.

When transitioning to a dual operation, the change to a LESTER SID is necessary, unless the tower provides a stagger between departures which will ensure another form of separation after take-off. i.e. 3 miles.

When moving from a dual to a single runway, or land one, depart one operation, the change from a LESTER to a PEARSON or TORONTO is not necessary but any subsequent departure will be issued the new SID.

If it happened at around 9 pm, that was probably the reason.

Cheers,

FX

YYZ has 5 runways and is the least efficient airport I know of. Crippled by new neighborhoods, antiquated rules, and a couple of controllers who are just unwilling to "entertain any requests".

Maybe the switch in sids was just to keep things snafu?

Archived