Industry assistance in foreign lands

B75/76

I know other issues are currently more pressing for a majority on this forum, but found these of interest.

Saw these two articles on the Flt. Int’l site. One has to wonder why the Canadian Government hasn’t stepped up with some assistance industry wide.

Sorry, I faded for a second there and forgot who the Transport minister is! Guess I should have looked to see him sitting on the fence of indecision! ;-)

Japan offers loans to JAL, ANA

May 22, 2003

Japan has agreed to provide financial assistance to All Nippon Airways (ANA) and Japan Airlines (JAL) in the form of low-interest loans to help them through the downturn caused by SARS.

Transport ministry officials say emergency low-interest loans will be available for the airlines through the state-owned Development Bank of Japan.

The country’s main carriers have been seeking aid for several weeks as a result of the drop in business caused by the SARS virus, as well as the war in Iraq. They are now negotiating formal loan packages with the bank.

China cuts landing charges

May 20, 2003

The Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) has unveiled an assistance package for the embattled airline industry that covers a 20% cut in airport landing fees and navigation charges.

The discounts will be applied retrospectively to 1 May and remain until 31 July. They apply to both Chinese and foreign carriers.

China is the country worst hit by SARS and its airlines are suffering badly from plummeting passenger demand.

IATA is praising China’s move, which follows similar cuts in charges introduced by several other countries including Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan and the Philippines. But it is again calling on Hong Kong to offer a better assistance package to airlines. Its incentives primarily cover the deferral of payments, rather than direct fee reductions.

Short answer is probably this, ANA and JAL have been consistently profitable in good times and have never tried to take each other out. If I am not mistaken JAL was formed shortly after ww2 and ANA, or at the very least its predecessor Nippon Helicopters in the 50's. For many years ANA was the dominant domestic carrier with JAL being the international carrier. They have always cooperated with mtce and a few other costly areas. What a concept hey? Japan against the world instead of each other....lesson here? Nah!

"They have always cooperated with mtce and a few other costly areas. What a concept hey? Japan against the world instead of each other....lesson here? Nah!"

Thinking like that... you are a 'Maverick'! ;-)

Archived