Jazzy-Assed Bad Guys Hang Around The Soo

Guest Nova Zemlya

Guest Nova Zemlya

Jazzy-Assed Bad Guys Hang Around The Soo, Not Leaving Anytime Soon

No plan to ground Air Canada Jazz

GM Tyler Wilson to stay put, take on added tasks

By ELAINE DELLA-MATTIA

Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 09:00

Local News - Tyler Wilson, local general manager of Air Canada Jazz, will keep his job.

That's good news for Sault Ste. Marie.

“We’re not going away from here,” Wilson said. “We’re in good shape locally and I’ve received no indication that we’re changing our schedule at all.”

About 25 per cent of Jazz’s general managers will lose their jobs as Air Canada restructures. Others will take on increased responsibilities, and will have to supervise more than one region.

Wilson, who has been in Sault Ste. Marie for almost 10 years and with Air Canada for 21 years, said the company has assigned him to manage the Sault and three other Jazz locations. He will also manage stations in Thunder Bay, Sudbury and Toronto City Centre.

A second manager, David Hughes, will operate Jazz stations in Kingston, North Bay and Timmins from the Timmins location.

“I’ll be centred in Sault Ste. Marie and on the go at the other centres as well,” Wilson said.

Air Canada Jazz operates five flights daily weekdays from Sault Ste. Marie to Toronto.

Tamar Sivucha, Jazz’s manager of corporate communications, said the move is part of restructuring and it's common in the airline industry for one employee to manage more than one station. “It’s part of streamlining our organization to be more efficient and cost effective.”

It has been known since March that Jazz would lose 25 per cent of its managers, but exact numbers of job cuts have not been released.

Sivucha said the process is evolving as bumping rights and transfers take place.

Wilson said an announcement earlier this week that WestJet Airlines will cut its operations in Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury, effective September, had no effect on Air Canada's plans.

“That’s unfortunate that it's happening,” Wilson said. “It’s my feeling that WestJet serviced a niche here and it’s unfortunate for everyone that they’re leaving. It’s unfortunate for the local economy, for the city, and for WestJet employees.”

Wilson notes not just Air Canada is having difficulties.

“The entire airline industry is in turmoil, especially in the United States,” he said.

Air Canada Jazz remains under an April 1 bankruptcy protection order which effectively means that accounts owed prior to April 1 will be paid through bankruptcy trustees Ernst & Young. Reports suggest that Jazz has a $90-million debt and faces heavy challenges to reduce its costs.

All airlines have unveiled plummeting revenues, declining travellers and increased costs since the 9-11 terrorist attack. Most recently, the United States war on Iraq and the SARS outbreak in Toronto, have created travel cuts worldwide.

Air Canada’s financial quarterly results released earlier this week indicate a $354-million loss and paints a bleak picture of the airline’s future.

http://www.saultstar.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentID=32241&catname=Local+News

Guest Virtual

Interesting that Wilson didn't take an opportunity to 'trash' WestJet in this article.

In fact - just the opposite. I'm not so sure that's how the reverse scenario would have been played out.

Guest Nova Zemlya

In contrast to dissing out Klyde, the following diatribe

Joe's airline is very seriously challenged in the integrity department and has a very long way to go before they can convince anyone that Jazz is a legitimate business. How DARE they operate turboprops in the skies of Canada.

We have, at best, the optics of a bunch of empathetic soup nazis.

But then again, how do you compete in the media with every joker who got caught up in the low cost updraft, staked their futures on low cost stock(real or imagined), and now rely exclusively on dissing out the competition for their bread and butter? These scrivener yokels take definite intellectual glee in kicking what they think is a dead dog.

Such is the compass of their striving to belittle Joe Air, that it takes all of two seconds to make the circumference of their insular micrcosm.

You could give these dorks a free ride in a Mig and it still would not cure such a narrow market perception. They would probably brag to everyone and reminisce for decades on a porch (not in a porsche) just how much their stock was worth at one time, unless you could harness such cheery goodwill and sell them your own slippery stock.

???

My God! I waited forever to say that one!!

:-[

NZ

It's always been my opinion that the surest way to get ground up by the AC machine has been to sit on your hands and say nothing.

Look how well it worked for CAIL, C3, Greyhound, VistaJet etc. A few of their CEO's spoke up, but not until after it was too late.

Of course you don't like Clive. So what? I suspect few at BA really appreciate Richard Branson, or the CEO's of Ryanair or easyJet. Hardly shrinking violets, these chaps. And what about Herb Kelleher, the "Mouth from the South"? I'm sure the "Battle of Baltimore" won him no fans at USAir, and his fan club at AA and United would be decidedly small as well. But they loved him at Southwest, and that's what counts.

None of these characters were the roll-over-and-play-dead type. IMO, that's precisely why their airlines aren't. Dead that is.

What a stunning retort!

Breathtaking in it's comprehensivness, and devilishly witty.

I can see there is no point in debating you. One would find more intellectually stimulating discourse with a distempered canine.

Archived