3 Weeks......

Guest WA777

Guest WA777

There's a little over three weeks to go... enough time for the unions to get a move on, make a deal and save the company and OUR JOBS....what are the chances that this will happen...unfortunately not much...no doubt there will be far too many meetings and too much internal division for it to happen.....no one will truly understand the stakes and seize the opportunity before time expires...!

Guest Skirt

WA777,

Dude, I think WJ is still taking resumes. Why don't you apply? (6) Just kidding! Have faith brother, even a little might help.

Guest neo

I'm not convinced it's quite as black and white as that. Although based on recent history, it's hard to feel optimistic that our unions won't make matters worse than they are.

AC could, I say could, survive in some form. Employees can still have a lot of say in what form that takes, if any. In that sense there is indeed opportunity, but in that sense as well you may be right: too few will recognize it.

neo

Guest WA777

True....It is just my opinion of course but I'm basing it on what has transpired so far, and I don't like what I've seen.....In my worst case scenerio of 12 months ago, I never saw it ever getting to this...CCAA....We all have to share some of the blame... management and employees...but who has the courage to do what's right, no matter how painful...? So far no one has shown the way...IMO

Lots of work to do in a short period of time.

Question for you WA777. Why is it that the Company has not even sceduled any meetings yet?

If everything is so urgent, you would think they would be geared up to meet 'round the clock.

I assume this constitutes scheduling meetings, assuming the unions agree(d).

From yesterday's restructuring press release:

The following timelines were proposed to achieve cost reduction

objectives:

- May 1 Discussion of immediate relief measures with Air Canada unions

- May 5 Commencement of financial due diligence; distribution of

presentation to Unions' financial advisors; start of labour

negotiations at mainline

- May 6 Presentation of Restructuring Plan highlights, discussion of

immediate relief measures and start of negotiations with Jazz

unions

- May 26 Target date for completion of labour negotiations

- June 15 Deadline for ratification and execution of Memorandums of

Understanding

- June 30 Implementation of all labour cost savings

Guest ACguy

neo,

I have noticed that you continually place blame on the unions. They are there to protect the interest of the employees. Make no mistake. The managers are not there out of the kindness of their hearts. We all must remain focused and remember the one thing we all have in common is the survival of AC. Placing artifical timelines with little basis like a clock of doom is definitely not in anyones interest. Yes, we must move swiftly, but with prudence. We did not arrive at CCAA by surprize. The signals were clear during the yard sale AC had with all of its assests to continue operations.

I have seen the timetable, but I am curious why there are no actual negots meetings scheduled.

I would have thought that AC would have shown up with Flt release for the entire negots team(s) for the month of May, had a list of meeting room bookings, and said lets get to it.

Guest neo

Thanks for your comments, ACGuy.

I do my best to speak up about any responsibility that unions have about the situation we're in, and in what way they could help for the way forward.

Unions for all their benefits, aren't perfect are they? They're run by humans, for humans. Consequently, mistakes are made. Identifying those mistakes means that union members can address them. Sweeping them under the rug, pretending that they don't exist, means that mistakes don't get corrected.

Best wishes,

neo

Guest Pull Up

"Unions" (Substitute "Management ") "for" (Substitute "with") all their benefits, aren't perfect are they? They're run by humans, for humans. Consequently, mistakes are made. Identifying those mistakes means that "union members" (Substitute "Management")can address them. Sweeping them under the rug, pretending that they don't exist, means that mistakes don't get corrected.

Let's face it Neo, both labour and management need to start accepting the responsibility for putting us where we are today. Neither group have acted in a civilized manner toward one another, thus the present animosity when it comes to negotiations. It's time to move on and do what needs to be done for the long term good of the company. It's time for (all)the organized labour groups (meaning all members of those groups) to give a dollars work for a dollars pay.

It's time for Unions to stop protecting the slackers, put an end to high absenteeism, ensure that workers can take the initiative without being reprimanded for doing someone else's job. That takes leadership from the elected officials.

It's time for managers to manage. That means making the tough decisions, even when unpopular, making sure weakness' are addressed, and problems identified to the next level of management and trying to ensure change is implemented. It also entails taking responsibility for problems in your respective departments, and fixing them.

Archived