Canucks Wild - Mic McGeough

dragon

Not sour grapes as you cannot win an NHL game, especially a playoff game only showing up for three minutes out of sixty, however;

Is Mic McGeough not the most incompetent referee in the entire NHL? Is he not the one who called seven penalties to one, [against Vancouver]in the ’94 cup final, game 7, MSG, Canucks Rangers? One word comes to mind, . . .

Pathetic!

...missed a call on a penalty shot with one minute left from about 3 feet away - other than that he was perfect (except when he nearly did a vertical takeoff waving off a goal earlier on - how many times do you wave your arms like that? 50 or 60?

Guest jetblast

Hang in there CA!!!

It could be worse:

You could be a Leaf Fan, Live in Toronto, be out of work, and still have the whole country against you.

As it has been said 36 times before -- there is always next season!

JB

Guest leftbase

Oh, I'm sure people will jump all over this and say "you can't blame the refs..". And I generally agree. But....McGeough has a history of trying to make himself one of the stars of the game. Witness his beauty of a call in the dying seconds, calling back a won faceoff. And he was in the way all night. I wish they'd go back to the one-ref system, it's not like they catch any more stuff with two.

Ok, back to airplanes.

lb

I thought I prefaced my post adequately that I was blaming the Canucks for the loss, not the referee. Canucks sucked last night but for three minutes, that is why they are going to Minnesota tied at 1.

McGeough is an awful referee, that was my point. As you said, totally out of position, missed a stick around Morrison’s neck from 6 feet away and almost got airborne with his performance in the late stages. He is one of a kind and even Greg Millen, the colour guy had to comment on how stupid MM looked during his stars on ice performance.

Refereeing in general has a bad reputation in the NHL, too many interpretations, too many different situations where this is a penalty today but not tomorrow. Has been going on for years with no improvement in sight and that’s too bad.

Lets hope for a better west coast effort tomorrow.

cheers

Leftbase, you are correct, nice to see someone saw it as I did..

I thought I prefaced my post adequately that I was blaming the Canucks for the loss, not the referee. Canucks sucked last night but for three minutes, that is why they are going to Minnesota tied at 1. [kudos to the wild nonetheless..]

McGeough is an awful referee, that was my point. As you said, totally out of position, missed a stick around Morrison’s neck from 6 feet away and almost got airborne with his performance in the late stages. He is one of a kind and even Greg Millen, the colour guy had to comment on how stupid MM looked during his stars on ice performance.

Refereeing in general has a bad reputation in the NHL, too many interpretations, too many different situations where this is a penalty today but not tomorrow. Has been going on for years with no improvement in sight and that’s too bad. Having said, MM remains the most incompetent of the lot. Must have a strong Ref union, can the NHL fire those guys? :)

Lets hope for a better west coast effort tomorrow.

cheers

Guest stick man

Did he actually close his hand (i.e. pick up the puck) or did he just scoop it out of the crease? I couldn't tell, but unless he actually closed his hand on it (the exact wording in the nhl rulebook) it's not a penalty.

Archived