Shame on Montreal Canadian Fans

Guest uwochris

Guest uwochris

I just want to voice my opinion on the recent booing by the Canadian fans last night. Their action could not have been more inappropriate, and they showed a tremendous amount of disrespect.

To think that we as Canadians think of ourselves as the "friendly" neighbours to the North... than we go and do something stupid like this.

In the past few months, there have now been at least 3 incidents where we, as Canadians, have showed great disrespect to our American friends. The 2 politicians (whom I hope got fired) got the ball rolling by calling GW a moron and a &%$@!, and now this. I honestly feel ashamed to call myself Canadian at a time like this.

Do we not realize how dependent we are as a nation on the Americans (both millitarily and economically)? We shouldn't be pulling silly stunts like this in public.

While I don't personally agree with the war on Iraq, I think it's sick at how much disrespect Canadians are showing Americans. The burning of the USA flag in anti-war protests in Vancouver is beyond "crossing the line."

We need to do work on strengthening our relationship with the Americans, not on destroying it.

I know there has always been this "holier than thou" attitude towards the Americans, and we always seem to be trying to differentiate ourselves from them; in all honesty though, we, as a nation, are not much without them.

Finally, when I see reporters like Rick Mercer who also try to exploit their ignorance, that even makes me more angry. Yes most Americans probably know didly sqwat about Canada, but that does not give us a right to exploit this. It just makes us look like a bunch of jerks.

To end, please stop the American bashing. I'm not saying we have to agree with everything they do, I just think we need to show a little more respect.

Nicely put Chris.

I'm out of Canada now and see things through other-than-rose-colored-glasses [please note the spelling].

However as a born-and-raised Canadian with all the privileges of "opinion", I am embarassed and ashamed by some of the goings on in our country, politically and practically [your example] of the past month.

With respect Rick Mercer, a great comedian so long as he is scripted. Get him "off-the-cuff" and he is nearly helpless.

With apologies to his talented brother...

Guest b52er

Our politicians certainly do not speak for me personally. It is imperative that the government of the United States understands that the recent comments made by the morons in the Liberal government of Canada are only embarassing a huge # Canadian citizens by their comments and actions. This is the message that must start to be sent as opposed to the personal opinions of a few who once again, do not represent me or many other Canadians.

Guest jeanmermoz

Very short memory...How about all the disrecpectfull comments made by US senators, member of congress, journalists, etc...about Canada! What about the restrictions or taxes the US implemented on some canadian products (one for example: softwood lumber) which created hundreds if not thousands of unemployed in Canada! Of course we have to bend over like slaves that you want Canadians to be....

Guest idleopdes

No excuse for boorish behavior... Its always classier to take the high road, this country is know for its class, let's not lower the bar.

Trade diputes are inevitable but check out the balance of trade between our 2 countries... we benefit!

Cheers

Guest jeanmermoz

I agree.

Yesterday, on a flight from Europe, this happened: a pax was angry and displayed it to the F/A and said: " I am an american and I demand to be upgraded to Business Class..."

I am afraid that this kind of behaviour might become the norm. Hopefully, I will be wrong.

Guest regional for life

Bottomline is when you boo a national anthem you are disrepecting every citizen representing that flag, REGARDLESS whether they are supporting the war or not.

Trying to rationalize their behaviour using trade disputes and arrogant Americans as examples does not fly.

Archived