Who Said....

deicer

It wasn't a war for oil?

http://thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?GXHC_gx_session_id_=e5752548275261a7&pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1035779955855&call_pageid=1045739058633&col=1045739057805

Even though the U.S. will pay for the oil they take, they have secured their access to a steady supply. The Russians are peeved because they won't be able to sell as much to the Americans as they wanted.

When the Middle East runs dry, it will be Canada's turn to come under the pressure of the States. After reading that the most current estimate for bitumen in Northern Alberta is somewhere in the range of 300 Billion Barrels, it won't be long before it is our turn....

Just my opinion...

Iceman

Guest Westdude

"U.S. and British military planners had feared Iraqis might sabotage their own oil fields and installations, just as they blew up more than 700 oil wells in Kuwait in the 1991 Gulf War."

If the Allies didn't bother to secure the oil fields, another ecological disastor like this would take place.

"The United States and Britain plan to use money from the sale of Iraqi oil to help pay for the country's post-war reconstruction. For now, Iraq's humanitarian needs are paramount."

And what's wrong with that?

"When the Middle East runs dry, it will be Canada's turn to come under the pressure of the States. After reading that the most current estimate for bitumen in Northern Alberta is somewhere in the range of 300 Billion Barrels, it won't be long before it is our turn.... "

Right, we threaten the U.S. with WMD and all that as well I suppose. Then again you are one of those people who probably also think Afganistan was about oil.

It's pretty tough to figure out the French & Germans, LT. Perhaps they're just posturing to make sure that their Iragi oil taps aren't turned off.

No Afghanistan wasn't about oil, but a greater threat, IMO, is the Korean peninsula yet the U.S. hasn't treated the situation the same has it? Yes Saddam has WMD, yes he has used them(on his own people as well), and yes he probably will again. Therefore I agree that he needs to be dealt with.

North Korea has nukes, a delivery system for them, and a leader that makes Saddam look like Ed Broadbent. That to me is a greater threat.

And as I posted above, the U.S. will pay for what they take, and give aid to the Iraqi people which is a good thing, but, and a big BUT, they now CONTROL the flow of oil. That is a bigger threat to OPEC and the Russians than having Saddam in the region. That is why the Americans made a big run to the oil patch first. As well, they can now start giving out the big contracts to their buddies as has been shown by the first contracts going to Haliburton. More to come....

Iceman

Guest Westdude

I also agree N.Korea is a large threat, but it is probably a poker game to get more aid money. The regime has a history of doing that. One question is, do we want to wait until Saddam is in the same bargaining postion? That's one of many good reason's for the present conflict.

The initial oil revenues helping rebuild Iraq is a good thing. Once the country is back on it's feet there is nothing stopping Iraq from joining OPEC. Russian and French firms have alot of contracts and I don't believe that the U.S. is into extortion.

What I disageed with was your comment about "we're next" I do not believe that the Americans are hell bent on world domination, they are a mature democracy, not a dictatorship.

Archived