Should Gov't Buy JAZZ

Guest GDR

There is talk of the feds putting money into AC. One way would be for them to buy JAZZ which is up for sale. The feds are always wanting JAZZ to fly to remote communities where it can't make money. If the gov't owned JAZZ the gov't could dictate where it flies.

If the gov't owned JAZZ it could buy all sorts of Bombardier aircraft. The feds are always looking for ways to pump money into Bombardier and this would be a good way to do it.

It all seems to fit so David Collenette if you're listening-----

Greg Robinson

Guest Marion Vanderlubbe

That actually makes sense. Narcissism-on-the-Rideau could buy back a chunk of DeHavilland along with Jazz, help out two companies at once and find executive management positions for all the cronies they can't get into the Senate. Ten daily round-trips Shawinigan-Ottawa. No more wondering where to put that budget surplus. Oh Gawd, they could, couldn't they?

Guest b52er

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but the government of Canada is far too distant from the days when they owned AC. The private sector has proven that given healthy competition, the airline industry can be viable, IE: WestJet, Jetsgo, Canjet so for the Government to wade back into ownership would put the private firms at a distinct disadvantage economically, and therefore, this scenario of the Government of Canada owning any part of any airline without owning a share in all is out of the question politically. Hypothesize all you want, but AC is going to have to survive on their own, or the rest will have to have access to the same loan gaurantees, tax breaks ect.

...the airline industry can be viable, IE: WestJet, Jetsgo, Canjet..

I would say that the main reason these companies are viable is because the don't compete with each other, only with AC. If AC were to suddenly disappear there would be a whole lot less profit around for the discount airlines to share. In very short order we would see the same news stories with different names as we see now.

Guest Stingray

Jetsgo and Canjet are profitable now, but I'm not sure this will always be the case. since they don't operate on the same basis as Westjet, I'm not sure they will have the same success. Especially at Jetsgo where the employee know they can't trust Leblanc.

"The private sector has proven that given healthy competition, the airline industry can be viable, IE: WestJet, Jetsgo, Canjet".... Westjet ya but Jetsgo and Canjet? - - - InterCanadian (Air Atlantic), Greyhound, Vistajet, Royal, Canjet part I, C3, Canadi

Archived