General Question

deicer

Around the farm, I have noticed that on both United and American aircraft they both have the U.S. flag on the fuselage at the back.

My question, that I hope that someone can answer, is why is the flag on the right side of the fuselage reversed? There is the odd one that has the flag the right way, but the majority have the flag reversed.

Anyone know why?

Thanks

Iceman

Guest ACsidestick

Deicer,
Believe it or not I actually know the answer to this excrutiating minutia.
I was watching CNN the other day and they asked the marines why their U.S. flags on both arms reverse in the same manner you describe.
They said that proper U.S. Flag protocol calls for the flags to always have the appearance of pushing forward into the wind (They said it is symbolically represented by whichever way is forward). To do this, they reverse the decals on any thing capable of motion.

Guest ACsidestick

We in Canada, of course never wanting to have to make a decision like that went with a flag that works either way. This of course represents Canada's position no matter which way the winds blow, no action will ever be required. :)

Guest jetblast

It is also the same for the American Airlines logo. The eagle always flies forward.

Wasn't it Roots Air that ran into the problem with the sylized "R" not fitting on one side of the tail of their aircraft?

Guest shibui

For some time now a well-worn joke at the UN has been:

-Why did the Canadian chicken cross the road?

-To get to the middle.

Archived