The IAM's desperate struggle:

The IAM has put out a letter attempting to strike fear into the hearts of it's unhappy members. Here, with answers from myself, is their letter... an asterisk * denotes my response. I need to point out that I hold no official position within CAMA and therefore cannot claim to speak for CAMA or any of it's members other than myself. I am just a concerned supporter.

PLEASE COPY POST AND CIRCULATE

May 13, 2002

TO: THE IAM MEMBERSHIP AT AIR CANADA

Dear Brothers and Sisters:

Your Union is under attack. It’s called a raid.

The attack is aimed directly at you and your ability to earn your livelihood.

*What a line of malarky! Unless they're speaking only to IAM execs, it is an outright lie! Our "attack" is aimed directly at the IAM and may unfortunately lead to an impairment of the ability of some of them to earn their living off of our backs, but that would be a side effect. We have only one motive: To improve the lot of those of us within aircraft maintenance in Canada.

Your Local Lodge leadership has been involved in meetings on how to address this attack and are fully aware of all the details.

The raid comes from an organization calling itself the Canadian Aviation Maintenance Association (CAMA).

*Wrong. That's "Canadian Aircraft Maintenance Association"

Their original purpose was to try and sell our members some pie-in-the-sky deal of a mechanics-only union. When they realized this was unrealistic, they decided to cast a wider net that would make them look more "user-friendly".

*Wrong. The original -and continued purpose is to offer real representation to a large group who have been outnumbered by those who do not share our interests, and thereby poorly represented within the industrial union that is the IAM.

While the IAM does not believe that CAMA is a serious alternative, we want to address some of the things they are saying. To leave these untruths unchallenged would imply they have some basis in fact; and that challenges the integrity of all Machinists in Canada.

*I wonder, what exactly is a "Machinist? How many "Machinists" at AC does the IAM count within their ranks? I'm not a "Machinist", I'm an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer for god sakes! Geez, they don't have a clue who we are, do they!

So let’s do a little reality check on what this is all about.

*Speaking of reality checks, have a look at this page: http://the-mechanic.com/iampage.html#nmb

(or maybe wait until you've finished here, that could be quite a distraction)

1. Our members are being told they would be represented by a mechanics-only union.

*False! We'll include all who have anything to do with aircraft maintenance!

THE TRUTH: The Canada Labour Code does not recognize single-occupation bargaining units anymore. Instead, the Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB) is certifying multi-function units. This what it did with the Technical, Maintenance and Operational Support (TMOS) unit at Air Canada. There is little likelihood the CIRB will now change it’s mind, despite what CAMA is saying.

*As I said, and as can be learned here: http://www.canama.ca we are NOT attempting to create a "single occupation" bargaining unit.

2. CAMA soon realized that if they were to sell themselves to the membership they would have to include everyone from maintenance, as well. So they changed their story by appealing to all in maintenance. At some point in the future they obviously would attempt to get rid of certain groups. A real solid group here! They also have made it very clear they do not want anyone from the ramp and cabin services in their new association.

*The real truth... CAMA began as a "grass roots" effort with the notion of including all within maintenance, knowing full well the CIRB would stand for nothing less. And there is no intent to "get rid" of anyone in the future! And yes, we don't want to include - and be outnumbered by - those who have nothing to do with maintenance and thus do not share our issues. Very solid indeed!

THE TRUTH: A carve-out is virtually impossible! In any case, breaking up the union into smaller units is simply giving away your bargaining strength.

* The typical cry of the industrialists... "Strength in numbers" ... Numbers in this case means for them, dues dollars. They don't give a damn about us otherwise.

3. CAMA says your IAM dues go the United States.

THE TRUTH: Your IAM dues stay right here in Canada! For use IN CANADA! Every IAM member’s dues dollar is banked IN CANADA and STAYS IN CANADA. This FACT can easily be verified by your own Local Lodge Secretary Treasurer.

* If I could find an online copy of the IAM's constitution I'd check that, but after searching for an hour now, and finding several completely useless IAM sites filled with trivial trash and frighteningly little substance, I have not been able to. I'd like to see the proof?

4. CAMA questions the democratic structure of our IAM.

THE TRUTH: The IAM is the most democratic union in North America. From Local Lodge Executives to District Lodge Executives to General Chairpersons, right to the Canadian General Vice-President – all of those positions are elected by you the members.

*Uh Huh... And I'm the King of Spain... Have a look here for some interesting IAM tidbits: http://the-mechanic.com/quiz01.html (again, you might prefer to finish here first)

5. CAMA is trying to sign up members by criticizing the IAM Constitution.

SEEK THE TRUTH: Where is the final draft of the CAMA Constitution? If they can provide one, check it out and see how democratic it is and who it appeals to?

*By all means, do so! The CAMA Constitution can be downloaded right here: http://www.canama.ca/download.php?op=getit&lid=1 (39 page PDF file) And I'd still like to know where I can find the IAM constitution??

6.Air Canada management seems to be encouraging the people at CAMA by closing a blind eye to their raid.

SEEK THE TRUTH: If Air Canada is siding with CAMA, is it because people on the CAMA councils have been working in acting management jobs? Do you really want to sign up to an organization driven by those folks? Take a good look at who is on their councils.

*Oh please! Who are the masters of climbing in bed with management with the HPWO HOBO's? What a lark!

The CAMA group have no track record, no resources, no real trade union experience.

*Absolutely true! We are a brand new grass roots effort, borne out of the desire to have true representation for a change for those of us in maintenance. That does not by any means, however, mean we have no experience in dealing with union issues... As we have already seen, many of our supporters have in the past been frustrated in their attempts to work within the IAM and have experience.

What they do have is lots of nonsensical promises and lots of bitching. That is all they have. And they want you to believe that they can make great things happen.

*Bitching? Yep, in spades... With our current "representation", we've got a lot to bitch about, but it doesn't surprise me that Mr. Ritchie and company would continue to wash it all off and label it as "bitching". "Nonsensical promises"? Show me? I haven't seen a single one. So far, all we can offer is hope for some badly needed changes.

Is this a group that any thoughtful person wants to be a part of?

*Yes, I'd say every thoughtful person I've talked with who works within AC tech ops. is either already supporting the effort or has said they want to.

We have been through some extremely difficult times in our recent history. Despite the enormity of the challenges we faced, we maintained our solidarity.

*Oh? Is that what they called all that infighting between various local lodges? Curious nomenclature for the scrapping we've seen in the last few years... If we had any "solidarity" why the need for Mr Adams assist for instance, I wonder??

The road ahead is equally challenging. Renewal of our collective agreement is about to start. Collectively, if we maintain our solidarity we can meet the challenge.

*To provide us with another piece of garbage they'd call a contract no doubt?

But if we’re cast into the turmoil of a raid by this breakaway group we’re in for a dose of serious trouble.

*Yessir, I'd say the IAM IS in serious trouble, throughout North America, thanks to similar grass roots efforts from people fed up with their anti-craft pro-industrialist viewpoints. Check out http://www.amfanow.org (when you're finished here)

CAMA is asking for a sign-up fee of $5.00 as well as DONATIONS. This says a lot about where they’re at. They simply do not have the resources to attempt to deal with all the current issues facing our Air Canada members. Nor will they be in any kind of financial position to do so in the near future.

*Now that statement is obvious evidence that the IAM is indeed worried. They know the $5 is a legal requirement, and of course they also know the need to build resources. But fret not, what we have for a contract will -by law- continue until we negotiate a new deal. The resources required initially will come from donations and when dues money begins to go toward CAMA we'll find enough to do what is needed.

They have not specified how they would possibly provide any kind of Education and Training for anyone – not even Health and Safety. Not a word about research. Nothing about communications both with you and the broader community where we network for support and understanding.

*There is no doubt that many things have not been detailed as yet, but don't mistake that for a lack of concern... As the will becomes a reality, the wishes of the members will prevail in a truly democratic fashion. As for communication, as if the IAM is a model to emulate? Hah! I've learned more from http://www.canama.ca than any of the tripe that can be had from any of the IAM site's conspicuously devoid of forums for communication!

Is this the kind of organization that merits your trust?

*In a word, Yes!

We are gearing up for what is clearly going to be a difficult and challenging round of negotiations. It is going to take all of our collective talents and resources to improve the Collective Agreement – especially the very important issue of job security as the airline starts splitting up its operations.

Your IAM air transport leadership staff has resources, talent and experience which is light years ahead of anything CAMA could ever come up with.

*If their attempts to dissuade you from joining CAMA are any indication of the best of their collective talent, I think they've proven that statement to be an absolute joke! Their attempts to trash us have the ring of a poor politician who knows no better defense than his best offense.

So where does all of this lead us? On the surface, CAMA may sound appealing. But when you get to the heart of the matter, when you get into the nitty-gritty of this dangerous game, you find out that people will get hurt. The employer is just sitting there in hot anticipation of the split. Division is the name - the company wins the game.

*Ahhh there it is, the IAM's ace in the hole... The threats... the fear campaign... "Dangerous game"... "People will get hurt"... "The employer ...division... company wins"... What they really mean is that the IAM loses, and if that hurts some of them, that is indeed unfortunate, but we, in aircraft maintenance have been losing for far too long and it's time to turn the tables... Our employer is not our enemy, they've been getting away with exactly what the IAM has been letting them get away with, as any business will do. Until we have the representation we deserve, that will continue.

Accordingly, we are urging you not to sign a CAMA card under any circumstances. If you have already signed and paid the $5.00, ask them for a full refund in writing and make sure you copy the Recording Secretary of your Local Lodge. Make sure you date your request.

We urge you to consider your options seriously. If you review the information above we believe you will come to the right decision to preserve your job security, reject this unwarranted raid, and build your own union – the IAM.

In Solidarity

Dave Ritchie Ron Fontaine

Canadian General Vice President President IAM District Lodge 140

*By all means do as they ask and consider carefully your options... "Unwarranted"? Clearly they're continuing to completely ignore our issues, as that comment implies we have none. Consider also that if they did not think we stood a chance they would not be writing any of this.

All of the above comments beside the asterisks are my own opinions. Form your own and we'll hopefully see a brighter future for all of us within maintenance very soon!

Cheers,

Mitch Cronin

Guest Gadgeteer

Thank you Mitch. I agree with you 100%. The poor little "iam" is going to loose some union dues. I guess they are going to have to sell the Learjet. By the way, I hear the Learjet is not maintained by "iam" aircraft mechanics.

That article is the best laugh I have had in my 22+ years with "iam" representation.

I say the "iam" had their chance. The "iam's" poor track record says it all.

I do take my job seriously! The "iam" has been my #1 source of grief since I started working in the aviation industry. I would be much better off today if I had no "iam" representation. Thank God I didn't get all the representation I paid for. Life would have been even harder.

I strongly believe the grass roots driven CAMA supporters are right on the money. The sooner we dump the "iam" the better for all.

Mitch,
fantastic reply,I tip my hat to you sir!
What I find interesting is that if the IAM was so sure that CAMA could not succeed then why did they post this letter.I particularly like the last line in the letter
"We urge you to consider your options seriously. If you review the information above we believe you will come to the right decision to preserve your job security, reject this unwarranted raid, and build your own union – the IAM."
Ritchies says that it can not be done but in the end he is begging for us to chose the IAM.Can you say contradiction in terms.

Guest tsmech

Mitch

This is the same crap that came out of the IUOE when us Air BC guys decided to toss them.. It's all defense.. They have nothing to offer for you to stay.. Punt the buggers and have a real maintenance union... Then maybe we can start to narrow the gap with the drivers!!!

Carry on Buddy, I'm behind you all the way..

Guest tsmech

I am... I worked for ZX for a long time but got sick of the BS and left. Just cause I work for TS now doesn't mean I can't agree with an AC Engineer..

Guest tsmech

Our base is non union and I'd like to keep it that way. In supporting him/them, it is more of a moral support thing, if CAMA can make advances for our portion of the industry, everyone from every airline, charter company, FBO, AMO, or flying school will benefit..

• 2 months later...
Guest G-Man

Well I guess it is time for a fresh face to put some imput into the iam and cama despute..
I have been with the Teamsters and CUPE.. the stongest being CUPE.. and from what I can see being an IAM brother, after the intergration of air bc's CAW into the IAM, without going thru the local, "GOD LOVE CAMA!" and let us get IAM out of A/C forever!!!!!
Just an opinion from an beloved A/C empl.

• 1 year later...

Well said Mitch!! If I was still at Canadian.... wait they changed names, AC, I would also be on the front lines promoting a change. Lucky for me we don`t have a union screwing up our lives. ohmy.gif airjetmech

Guest Raven2911

Just out of curiosity, has anyone noticed that Mitch's original post of this thread is almost 2 years old?

Raven blink.gif

Hey! I haven't looked in here for a long while... You're right Raven... huh.gif That just goes to show you how dedicated we are that we're still slugging away at this thing.

Getting closer every day! smile.gif

Guest Raven2911

Yup. Too bad us maint types don't use this spot more often. I ALWAYS come here first (but its so lonley)...

unsure.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xevadc

Hi Guys I worked for Air Atlantic maint from start to end and I had to deal with an IAM union there. These guys are absolute trash. I support your effort 100%. Go for it....... dump the bastards!

Guest WINGER

The greed is spreading. Here is a bunch of radicals that want up to 37 dollars an hour.

Right now no airline in Canada can afford these high wages. This industry is going down the tubes and these people are crying for higher wages!

Go ahead put A/C under because of high wage demands but tell us all where you're going to go work then will ya?

Guest WINGER

RE:: Winger... read the original posting date. It's May 15, 2002

And your point would be? Let me guess! That A/C could afford 37 dollars an hour back in 2002?

REALLY!

Guest Raven2911

No, my point is that back in 2002 the IAM (and CAW) have been selling there idea of strenght in numbers, but us maintenance types always seem to get dragged in with unskilled labour. It was a time that we needed to break away from people who negotiated for us. In fact, these same people had no clue what we needed and/or wanted. Whether A/C could afford $37 per hour is irrelevent. You get what you negotiate.

Besides all that, it's an old topic. Nobody cares about that right now. We are more concerned about keeping A/C alive.

Guest xevadc

Ok guys I hate to be sucked into this argument of what an aircraft mechanic should or should not make an hour but I can't resist. Here it goes:

For years on end in this country the majority of us who maintained aircraft have been under payed and poorly represented as a group. Everybody knows that. I WILL NOT STEP BACK IN TIME FOR ANY COMPANY! Winger boy as much as I think you have the smarts of a beach rock based on other posts here I agree in part that no company will pay what you are worth only what they can afford if you can assume they are being truthfull. If one can get $37/hr fixing airplanes they deserve it and I salute them. Winger if we had your attitude we would all be making 15-20 an hr and fixing airplanes with hammer and duct tape. Maintaining aircraft is a big cost factor but the payroll portion in the big picture is such a small part. If a company can not afford a decent wage for there mechanics they can not afford to be in business. To be honest if this cost so happened to drive the company under, it was not ment to be anyways. As for Air Canada and its offsprings I believe that cost issues lie in company structure as it fits into the new world order of aviation...... not what they pay maintenance. Most companies know that a well run professional maintenance department saves you money.

The end tongue.gif

Guest Raven2911

xevadc, I'm with you. But don't pay any heed to this fellow. He's obviously too cranky.

Archived