A day at the Croydon Airport…..

image.png.930a95d858a2b963391cb37120abe941.png

The DC3 has had a long history and your comment prompted me to look into the registration of the aircraft in the video.

I also thought it was a DC3  but the only registration that I could copy from the film was for a DC2. The film was released in 1934 which predated the DC3. 

The Douglas D.C. 2 is the principal type of twin-engined aeroplane used by Swissair on its main air routes. It was used to inaugurate the Zurich-Basle-London air service, the 450-miles stage from Basle to London being probably the longest regular non-stop schedule in Europe. The D.C. 2 has accommodation for fourteen passengers and is provided with facilities for serving refreshments, etc., in the air. The crew includes a stewardess. Swissair owned 6 DC-2 in the period from 1934 to 1952. Swissair's models were Douglas-Fokker DC-2's, meaning they were built under licence at the Fokker plant near Amsterdam, NL.

built 1. Nov. 1934 as PH-AKF. Then delivered to Austria, where it was presidential aircraft under the reg. A-500. After Austria became 'german', the plane was sold to switzerland for CHF 180'000, and became Swissair's HB-ISA in april 1936. It was later sold to spain, where it flew with Iberia as EC-EBB. It was later re-registered EC-AGA for the spanish air force, and was destroyed in WWII in Stuttgart in August 1944.

http://www.sr692.com/history/history-Dateien/image003.gif

·         Operations extended from summer season to all-year.

·         Douglas DC-2 aircraft enter service.

·         First two DC-3 aircraft acquired.

http://www.sr692.com/history/history-Dateien/image004.gif

image.png

• Thanks 1