"New" (?) Regulations in CARS limiting private Remote Controlled aircraft hobbyists

On 3/1/2023 at 9:34 PM, Moon The Loon said:

Yes....me......It is hardly worth the time to invest in Drone flying in Canada. I am a  TC qualified Class A and Class B drone pilot but the restrictions imposed by TC  have taken the fun out of flying. One of the biggest hangups is VLOS because it is almost impossible to fly the small drones without an assistant who must maintain VLOS and requres a radio to relay the drone's  location. Goggles do not work on the smaller drones but are useable on the larger drones as it  is basically "cockpit" flying. 

On 3/5/2023 at 5:53 PM, Kip Powick said:

Yes....me......It is hardly worth the time to invest in Drone flying in Canada. I am a  TC qualified Class A and Class B drone pilot but the restrictions imposed by TC  have taken the fun out of flying. One of the biggest hangups is VLOS because it is almost impossible to fly the small drones without an assistant who must maintain VLOS and requres a radio to relay the drone's  location. Goggles do not work on the smaller drones but are useable on the larger drones as it  is basically "cockpit" flying. 

Apparently, MAAC has about 15,000 members. They (and perhaps you too, Kip) have 10's of thousands of dollars invested in this sport. When the exemption was cancelled in February, TC said MAAC had not complied with some of the provisions of the exemption which, of course, MAAC disputes. With 15,000 members, they have a voice to perhaps re-instate it, perhaps with different provisions. But if half or more of MAAC's members say "the heck with it" and leave the sport and their membership, that voice dwindles.

Another problem for many flyers is the 25 Kg restriction to maintain a Basic RPAS certificate. I've watched YouTubes with craft between 50 and 100 Kg.

Perhaps one of the biggest problems with the new regulation is the 400' AGL limitation in uncontrolled airspace. Doesn't take long to get there with the ducted fan jets.

MAAC's advice though, to all modelers, is to prepare for and write the exam. The Basic certificate needs 65% to pass. It's open book with lots of material available to those that seek it with little to no cost.