Questions Abound

Kip Powick

Maybe you need more than 500 hours PIC on type to know how to calculate takeoff performance and what hitting a brick wall feels like. :(

“The captain had 3600 hours of flight experience on type thereof 500 in command, the first officer had 3000 hours of flight experience on type”.

F68211ED-C1DB-4D9F-8B3B-3002AC4F6ACE.jpeg

I'm reading "experience on type"...nothing about his total flying time...

I know nothing about the crew but because of the incident it appears to me that the PF might have had Mil background and decided to do a low level T/O , get airborne, slap the wheels up, keep it low to build speed, and then pull up when at high speed.

Just an arm-chair WAG.?

A Little True Story

There used to be a William Tell exercise every year at Tyndall AFB, Florida   and each year the RCAF would send CF-101 (Voodoos) down to Florida for the exercise. The CO of the RCAF Sqn was a great guy and a "gung-ho" driver. The RCAF Voodoos, on take-off  could take the weight of the nose wheel, select gear up and the nose wheel would retract but the mains would not retract until the weight was off the mains. 

That made the RCAF Voodoo a pretty sight as it rocketed down the runway with the wheels up, burners in, and at the end ...a sharp snap pull up. The USAF could not do it with their Voodoos because of a gear interlock.

After the second day of competition, at the morning briefing, a very young USAF Lieutenant who happened to be assigned as the " third wheel"in the Flight Safety empire at  Tyndall AFB stood up and commented on the RCAF pilots departures and stated that it was not an acceptable procedure and could lead to an accident. He stated further,  that he would be at the end of the runway that morning, taking down air-frame numbers of anyone who persisted in this "unsafe maneuver" . He then asked if there were any questions..

The CO of the RCAF Sqn slowly stood up and said, "So you are going to be on the end of the runway, this morning, and I just want to know.....will you be standing or sitting ??"

Good Florida story Kip but if this particular takeoff was something other than a Boeing recommended procedure I’d say these pilots are in serious trouble.

Lots of reasons I suppose. Possible stab trim error or weight and balance issue so unknown until Vr? 

A few sim rides back the script called for multiple runway changes for each event. You had to be careful to ensure all speed/thrust/flap/stab setting  correct as the sim reposition function wouldn’t keep things as they were. One take off was eventful as the stab wasn’t close to where it should have been. 

Archived