Cancer Fly-By

Kip Powick

Passed to me by another RCAF/Ex Airline Pilot

At Arrowhead Stadium Sunday....As you know the budget cuts have eliminated the military flyovers at large events. Well, there's a group of guys in Kansas City who do some formation flying in their own planes and that decided they'd volunteer to pick up the slack. They invited a couple of other groups to join them and before they knew it they had 48 guys signing up to join in. If they had more time, they probably would have gotten an even larger group as people kept joining and a 49th was added near the event. One additional feature of the flyover was the use of pink smoke for cancer awareness. The folks from the Guinness Book where there and are expected to confirm it as the largest formation flight ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=VImNBuJW3sQ

I have seen numerous 80 and 90 a/c formations in the fifties and sixties in Europe.

The RAF, Armee de l 'Air and others used to stage mass flyby's in a single formation.

September 1960, 72 plane formation made up of CF-100s and F-86s in a formation over the Parliament buildings for for a Battle of Britain day flypast.

That was a practice, the actual flypast the following day was reduced to 36 A/C due to low ceiling.

The CFs were from North Bay, Ottawa, Bagotville and I believe St Hubert.

The F-86s were from Chatham.

If you are talking about civilian formations I dare say Guinness may be right. Looks well done.

Archived