Piggy Pamela Parachutes From Porter

My feeling on the Senate notwithstanding, I am not sure that there is a criminal issue here. If there is then they should be prosecuted, if there is simply a violation of Senate rules, then they should suffer the punishment that the rules of the Senate allow.

I personally don't care about the PM's involvement, if any, in this. It is small potatoes and whether he wanted Duffy to pay back the money because he thought is wrong (as he seems to be claiming) or thought that he thought it looked poor politically is largely irrelevant if no laws were broken.

What I find most disappointing is the apparent lack of leadership by anyone in this. I think most people intuitively know that claiming living expenses for somewhere you do not live is a greasy move regardless of what the official rules are. Show some freaking leadership and do the right thing instead of parsing rules to justify your slopping at the trough.

So Chocky, based on my take, you are happy with the PM standing up in Parliament and stating that the $90,000.00 cheque to Duffy was only between Duffy and NW and NO ONE else in his office, including himself, was privy to the transaction............................ except that now there are approximately 13 people who knew what was transpiring, many of whom were members of the PM's staff ??? :glare:

This man, (PM), micro manages everything and you felt he did not know what was going on??? :glare:

Personally I would like to see a full RCMP investigation :gossip: , no matter how long it takes, and let the chips fall where they may. :icon_axe:

So Chocky, based on my take, you are happy with the PM standing up in Parliament and stating that the $90,000.00 cheque to Duffy was only between Duffy and NW and NO ONE else in his office, including himself, was privy to the transaction............................ except that now there are approximately 13 people who knew what was transpiring, many of whom were members of the PM's staff ??? :glare:

This man, (PM), micro manages everything and you felt he did not know what was going on??? :glare:

Personally I would like to see a full RCMP investigation :gossip: , no matter how long it takes, and let the chips fall where they may. :icon_axe:

Well Kiparoni, Kipster, Kipadoodle, not sure where I said or implied that I am happy with the PM potentially lying in Parliament. If he did, I think it is bad leadership over a minor matter.

I also never said or implied that I felt that the PM knew what was going on, if you must know I think he probably did know and Nigel fell on his sword for him. I did say however that I really do not care if he did.

It is also not unheard of to keep bad news from floating up, provides plausible deniability or sometimes an underling is just afraid of elevating bad news. Not saying it is the case here but would not be surprised.

This is all just looks like political shenanigans and I just do not get that worked up about it. As said I think there was a failure of leadership doing the right thing but I am not sure what laws were broken.

What specific action do you want the RCMP to investigate. What laws do you think were broken.

..................personally don't care about the PM's involvement, if any, in this

.................not sure where I said or implied that I am happy with the PM potentially lying in Parliament. If he did, I think it is bad leadership over a minor matter.

A minor matter???????????

Criminal fraud in my world, is not a good thing and based on what has been reported, it looks like there are many cases of that in the Senate. The fact that you seem to indicate that you really don't seem to care about the whole issue is astounding and perhaps an indication of the apathetic attitude of some Canadians who fail to grasp the fact that the individuals in this case are stealing our tax dollars by falsifying expense accounts.

I know of a 10 year RCAF pilot released for submitting a false moving claim to the tune of "only" $1500.00 yet you feel the hundreds of thousand of dollars or our money paid out for fraudulent expense claims is just " political shenanigans". I am sure that those Canadians who received tax notices that require a few more dollars to be submitted.... upon review of their Income Tax, take solice in the fact that you really don't give a damn about hundereds of thousands of your tax dollars being pi$$ed away by a group of of over-paid buffoons in a cushy job with perqs you will never have.

Your comments, in my opinion, are very, very sad......

Regardless....have a nice weekend

Wasn't Duffy claiming expenses while he was on a cruise with his wife? If so, that sounds a whole lot like criminal fraud, unless of course, he was talking business with a couple of guests while aboard.

Bean - are you smelling a little drop of Porter blood in the water?

Porter paid its regular BoD members $30k a year + out of pocket expenses, according to their 2010 Prospectus. I would be very, very surprised if BoD members didn't receive unlimited positive space passes for themselves and their families as well.

Unless there was a communications trail between Porter and Wallin that indicated Porter were aware the passes were being used for Senate travel purposes, (generally a no-no for positive passes for the rank and file, but from a practical standpoint, not necessarily so for BoD members), and then an indication that highly discounted passes were being used, but receipts for regular fares were issued by Porter for her expense claims as an under the table method of bumping her compensation, it would be pretty hard to pin this on Porter.

If, and that is IF, the good Senator was claiming full fare for trips on Senate business whilst using her Porter flight benefits and pocketing the difference, that's fraud, pure and simple.

It would not be hard to slip that by whoever reviewed her expense claims. Collecting $452 for a walk up Toronto - Ottawa fare in order to maximize FF benefits is par for the course for most senior civil servents and those examining the claims on a day to day basis probably wouldn't give it a second look. The clerks pushing paper probably wouldn't even know about the possibility that she had flight benefits and besides, what would they care? It's not as if they benefit from catching this sort of stuff, as they might in the private sector.

I would imagine this sort of thing would have been looked at by forensic auditors. It would not be difficult to pull all her PNR's and reconcile her actual flight costs with her expense claims.

If they haven't looked at it, they probably should.

:cool:

..................personally don't care about the PM's involvement, if any, in this

.................not sure where I said or implied that I am happy with the PM potentially lying in Parliament. If he did, I think it is bad leadership over a minor matter.

A minor matter???????????

Criminal fraud in my world, is not a good thing and based on what has been reported, it looks like there are many cases of that in the Senate. The fact that you seem to indicate that you really don't seem to care about the whole issue is astounding and perhaps an indication of the apathetic attitude of some Canadians who fail to grasp the fact that the individuals in this case are stealing our tax dollars by falsifying expense accounts.

I know of a 10 year RCAF pilot released for submitting a false moving claim to the tune of "only" $1500.00 yet you feel the hundreds of thousand of dollars or our money paid out for fraudulent expense claims is just " political shenanigans". I am sure that those Canadians who received tax notices that require a few more dollars to be submitted.... upon review of their Income Tax, take solice in the fact that you really don't give a damn about hundereds of thousands of your tax dollars being pi$$ed away by a group of of over-paid buffoons in a cushy job with perqs you will never have.

Your comments, in my opinion, are very, very sad......

Regardless....have a nice weekend

Not caring and happy about it are 2 different things. As I said in my original post I think it is poor leadership but nothing I have seen in the news or the caterwauling on this board have shown that at this point, anything illegal was done in the PMO.

I also clearly stated that if something illegal was going on they should be punished. If however the senate rules allowed what he did then it was poor leadership but not illegal. Not sure why you fail to grasp that.

What I find sad is the pathetic way you feel the need to attribute something to a person that was never said. "Take solace in the fact that you don't give a damn that hundreds of thousands of my tax dollars being **bleep** away"? You sure have an oddball way of coming up with what you read in to things to bolster your argument by focusing on your emotions instead of the facts.

Maybe a few too many drinks on a Friday night perhaps?

Regardless, have a great weekend.

Archived